Phil's winter project

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2014, 09:41 AM
944Phil
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phil's winter project

Long post....

I decided to start a thread on my winter project. I don't post a lot, but I'm on here almost everyday reading the threads.

A little background on my car: 86'T, I've had it about 4 years, it has had too many problems to list, and last summer if finally ran nicely... If it started. I've spent 4 times more hours under than car than in it. Thankfully it's a hobby and I enjoy working on it.... most of the time.

Currently the car has: M-tune, tial 35mm, all new engine gaskets, KEP PP, new clutch, 3" LR exhaust, fully rebuilt wiring harness, CEP fuel rail, newly rebuilt head by John Parker, wide fire HG, apexi EBC, AOR LSD, and other little upgrades like crank scraper, etc...

I run about 16lbs of boost on the street and 14 on the track.

I drive the car about 4 times a week to work and track it about 4-5 days a year. I would track it more but it has never been on the road long enough for me to feel confident enough to register for more events.

The car has one issue that's been plaguing me this year; it has a lot of trouble starting. It'll crank like a champ, but there is kickback. I've searched and searched and I'm pretty sure it's the starter interference. This is where the project starts... I have a notched bell housing, which I will be removing to put an unmolested bell housing in, which'll better shield the speed and ref sensors. I already updated the bracket, but it didn't really help. Also all the grounds have been cleaned. The next step it to re-do the power wires to the starter and try to run them away from the sensors. Also the starter is rebuilt and depending on how things go with the previous steps I might buy an early starter, which is supposed to have less EI.

I also plan on pulling the engine out and getting all the heat shields re-plated. I'm leaning towards nickel plating because it doesn't tarnish as easily, and will reflect the heat better in the long run. The only concern here is galvanic compatibility with the aluminum parts (engine block) but is should be ok so long as I use zinc fasteners.

A Fianza flywheel is already patiently waiting for install.

Finally, whenever I wear my helmet I hit the roof. If something were to happen this really isn't the safest thing. I'm going to put a set of Recaro pole positions with a roll bar in. I found a used autopower roll bar locally, and snatched it up. It was red and horrible so I stripped it down, brushed it, stained it and cleared it. I'll post some pics. I know the autopower bars are sketchy because they mount to the sheet metal. I was thinking about welding in a 1/8" steel plate to the floor behind the seats. I still want to be able to unbolt the bar from the car, but it don't want it punching through the floor if the car is on it's roof (hopefully never). Has anyone ever done this?

I'll update as I go along.

Oh almost forgot: I had Charlie at evergreen rebuild the turbo and upgrade it to a k27/6. Charlie is super cool, and although I haven't seen the turbo yet, I highly recommend him.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:53 AM
944Phil
Racer

Roll bar pics. I have a 6mo munchkin in the house and didn't want to make a lot of dust or use any harsh chemicals. I found this water based stripper at home depot and it worked amazing. I then used 60 grit sandpaper to hand to sand the whole assembly and rubbed some alanine dye into the sandpaper marks. I'm very happy with how it came out. Right now it's just resting in the car because i wanted to see how it looked. I'd like to weld in some reinforcements to the floor and bolt through those.
Attached Images      

Last edited by 944Phil; 12-28-2014 at 02:42 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 04:02 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

Bar looks sweet!
Old 12-21-2014, 07:20 PM
Darryl H
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great work! How does it fit? Is it a case of taking the front seats out and passing it through or can you poke it in from the boot?
Old 12-21-2014, 07:35 PM
944Phil
Racer

I put it in from the hatch. Took all of 5 minutes by myself. I haven't bolted it in yet though, that'll takes lot longer.

Last edited by 944Phil; 12-28-2014 at 03:02 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 02:39 PM
944Phil
Racer

Installed a short shifter from 944only. It looks very nice, but I will only be able to really tell when I drive the car. The service and shipping from 944only was very good and recommend them. It looks like there is some oil leaking out from the shaft where the shift linkage enters the transmission casing. I don't really want to break into the transmission right now, so I'm probably just going to leave it and keep an eye on the fluid.

I'm having trouble uploading pics on the iPad so I'll put them up on the computer later today
Attached Images   

Last edited by 944Phil; 12-28-2014 at 03:45 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:37 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

I recommend to have a machine shop balance your clutch assembly with the flywheel... Fidanzas are notoriously out of whack.
Old 12-28-2014, 03:47 PM
944Phil
Racer

Originally Posted by pole position
I recommend to have a machine shop balance your clutch assembly with the flywheel... Fidanzas are notoriously out of whack.
ARG, really!? Thanks for the tip. that's pretty weak on their part, and another thing to pay for.
Old 12-28-2014, 06:53 PM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice work 944Phil.
Hopefully I will see you at Tremblant or Mosport next spring. I had a 996 for several years and took some time off and sold the car, and came across a 1988 944 Turbo S silver rose in the states and could not resist trying to get my hands on her. So far the cars seems good, just small issues to far i.e. fuel indicator not functioning properly ect. See ya in the spring and keep up the great work.

Pierre
Old 12-28-2014, 07:57 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Removing the rear seats ?
Old 12-28-2014, 08:36 PM
944Phil
Racer

Originally Posted by Translog
Nice work 944Phil. Hopefully I will see you at Tremblant or Mosport next spring. I had a 996 for several years and took some time off and sold the car, and came across a 1988 944 Turbo S silver rose in the states and could not resist trying to get my hands on her. So far the cars seems good, just small issues to far i.e. fuel indicator not functioning properly ect. See ya in the spring and keep up the great work. Pierre
Hey Pierre, I'll definitely be at tremblant next year. I managed to make it for the last event this year. I think you'll really like the turbo S, even compared to the 996. If you need help with the car let me know. I've spent more time under it than in it.

Originally Posted by blade7
Removing the rear seats ?
The seat backs are long gone. I will eventually remove everything and put a RS carpet kit in, but right now I'm going to spend the money elsewhere.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:24 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Got the same short shift kit for Christmas. Hopefully it's not too difficult to install with the transmission in the car.

Also installed a new Racing Dynamics strut brace.
Old 12-28-2014, 10:34 PM
Translog
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

944 Phil,

I'll let you know when and where I decide to do my first DEW in the S.

Ciao

Pierre
Old 12-29-2014, 04:25 AM
Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pole position
I would recommend to never balance the clutch assembly together with the flywheel. If you ever want to swap out your clutch, you'll have a fully out of balance flywheel.
Always balance your flywheel as a single item, same with any other item you want to balance!
Old 12-29-2014, 08:09 PM
pole position
Burning Brakes

^
Disagree

Quick Reply: Phil's winter project