Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

SFR control arms

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2003, 01:19 PM
Sean Hall
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll take this design anyday... If there's ever a doubt about the heim joint wearing out, I replace it!!! Its that easy. Stock a-arms??? uh???

Tim, I don't like the plates that were added in there... way overkill. The chassis' prolly going to get torn to pieces ever before these things break. Of course, its your call.

Sean
Old 09-18-2003, 01:51 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Adrail: You have PM

Thanks!
Old 09-18-2003, 07:26 PM
Skip Wolfe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Matt H
Skip-
power steering hoses that fail and timing belts that break aren't design flaws. They are a byproduct of parts wearing out over time. All hoses will fail over time and any rubber belt will eventually break. Those may be a nuisance to you but they are not flawed.

Rear wheels falling off Focus(es), who knows what the plural of focus is, is a design flaw. Parts failing do to time are normal wear describe basically every part on a car.
Matt its not if they fail thats an issue its when. I have owned a fair amount of very high mileage cars in their time and haven't their respective timing belts have last much much longer. In my years with the Rennlist I have heard of quite a few horror stories regarding timing belt failing in the 15 - 30 k mileage range. The fact that how old are the belts is one of the first things one asks when looking at a new car.

Same goes with the powersteering hoses, this car is the only one out of the many 100k+ mile cars that I have owned that had problems with the PS hoses.

I'm not saying that there aren't other cars with similar problems, I just thing that a the timing belt on a $40k should last longer than those of my old Jetta. And its not a function of stress since the Jetta was a 16v JLI that had a higher redline than the Porsche.

I agree that there are more spectacular failures like the wheels falling off a Focus (hadn't heard about that one). I was just using 944 examples. But either example works just fine, just because a manufacture builds it a certain way, doesn't mean that its right.
Old 09-18-2003, 09:01 PM
Matt H
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont disagree with you I am just saying that they are not design flaws. The belt is a maintenance issue (check the price of a valve adjustment on a Ferrari), which I agree is a short interval BUT I ran my last 944 with the same belts for 3 years never had them retensioned and never had a problem, when I went to have them done again the belts still looked new. As far as PS hoses go, they are just high pressure hoses connected to an outsourced ZF rack. I have replaced my share of PS hoses on LOTS of cars, including Lexus, too many Chevys to count, a number or Mercedes, etc. You have just had good luck with your hoses OR you put lots of miles on a much newer car (remember the hoses are also at least 12-13 yrs old now).

A design flaw to me is something that is prone to failure at a higher rate than normal. I.e. it may be a PITA to get to a certain bolt but that is not a design flaw. The M60 engine in my 540 was a design flaw. The engine was not intended for unleaded fuels and the higher temps they create, this eventually turned into BMW replacing engines for free.

As for a timing belt lasting longer on a certain dollar car, that seems rather pretentious. Ideally, if you purchased it you have the money to fix it. A piece of rubber on one car will last the same amount of time as it will on another (i.e. the timing belt doesnt know what the sticker price was) :>) I know what your point is and it would be nice if it had 90K intervals but it doesnt, not a design flaw just bad luck for us.
As for the focus at one point there were 44 active recall on them. I also agree that because a manufacturer makes it doesnt make it right.

Quick Reply: SFR control arms