Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Is this fuel pressure regulator or damper bad?

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2014, 05:05 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Is this fuel pressure regulator or damper bad?

When I started the engine cold, the fuel pressure needle was bouncing all over the place. As the car began to warm up, it settled down, but it's still a little jumpy in the video.

The odd part is, when I rev the engine a little, the needle starts shaking a lot, and starts dropping down to around 1.5 bar (this doesn't come out very clearly in the video unfortunately). I was expecting it to go up a little, and to bounce a lot less.

The test plan simply says it should be 2 bar at idle, and 2.3-2.7 bar with the vacuum line removed. It doesn't mention anything about how stable it should be, or what should happen if you rev the engine. But my understanding of it is, the pressure should go up, to compensate for increased manifold pressure. Mine is not doing that. If I pinch off the return line it does go up well above 4 bar so the pump must be fine.

Old 12-08-2014, 01:49 AM
Dave W.
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

A better test is to unplug the vac line and see if the pressure goes up, it should be 2.5 bar (36.5 psi) with the vac line off. A little bouncing is normal since the injectors are all triggered together and this sends a shock wave down the fuel line.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:55 AM
divil
Three Wheelin'

It does go up to 2.5 with the vac line unplugged.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:12 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by divil

The odd part is, when I rev the engine a little, the needle starts shaking a lot, and starts dropping down to around 1.5 bar (this doesn't come out very clearly in the video unfortunately). I was expecting it to go up a little, and to bounce a lot less.

The test plan simply says it should be 2 bar at idle, and 2.3-2.7 bar with the vacuum line removed. It doesn't mention anything about how stable it should be, or what should happen if you rev the engine. But my understanding of it is, the pressure should go up, to compensate for increased manifold pressure. Mine is not doing that. If I pinch off the return line it does go up well above 4 bar so the pump must be fine.
below is the behaviour of my bad FPR. There was no difference between vacuum line removed or not. The pressure was the same. But as you can see the pressure went down when you opened up the throttle. That's wrong, no doubt about it.
I replaced everything, the damper and the regulator. Now the fuel pressure goes up to around 2.7 bar when you open the throttle and the car is a joy to drive.
Apart from that, my bad FPR was the culprit for the failed leakdown test.

Old 12-08-2014, 02:15 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by H.F.B.
below is the behaviour of my bad FPR. There was no difference between vacuum line removed or not. The pressure was the same. But as you can see the pressure went down when you opened up the throttle. That's wrong, no doubt about it.
I replaced everything, the damper and the regulator. Now the fuel pressure goes up to around 2.7 bar when you open the throttle and the car is a joy to drive.
Apart from that, my bad FPR was the culprit for the failed leakdown test.

Thanks...I think I found that video on youtube. I found a few videos of 944 fuel pressure tests and all of them including that one show none of the flickering that I have. I am pretty sure the damper at least must be toast.
Old 12-08-2014, 02:25 PM
H.F.B.
Pro

Received 99 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by divil
Thanks...I think I found that video on youtube. I found a few videos of 944 fuel pressure tests and all of them including that one show none of the flickering that I have. I am pretty sure the damper at least must be toast.
Yes, the damper should dampen the shock waves triggered by the injectors as Dave W. above explained.
Old 12-09-2014, 12:42 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you pressure/vacuum test at the nipple on the damper, and it holds vacuum /pressure, can it still be bad?
My fuel pressure gauge jumps around as well, but I have no obvious signs of a bad damper. Some have said, one should be able to smell gas coming from the damper if it is bad.
I always wondered about this.
Old 12-09-2014, 10:55 PM
divil
Three Wheelin'

Good question. I had another old damper lying around so I swapped that in. It didn't seem to make any difference - I still had the fluctuations, and the pressure seems to drop a little overall when I rev it at little. Still it was an old used damper so that doesn't prove anything.
Old 12-09-2014, 11:48 PM
TurboTommy
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By the way, I think the pressure going down a little when reving at idle is normal. You're generally going to have more vacuum at the manifold in such a case, and then that signal will be received at the FPR.

Quick Reply: Is this fuel pressure regulator or damper bad?