Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

this is awesome!
Old 01-18-2015, 07:24 AM
Rom78
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you Paulyy it's always nice to read your compliments.

Here are some news.

Coolers are now fixed on the car and i'm doing the different masters of air ducts.
We also finalized the tensioning system of the twin pulleys.

The big job at the moment is the intake manifold conception and creation.

So we had to install the just finished pedal box as it's just over it .

The other objective is the cam cover creation. We'd like to have the same as the original one. The difficulty is to conserve the good position of fixations wih the casting contraints ... A project in the project i could say.
So the conception mode is "on"

To be continued ...
Old 01-18-2015, 09:23 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Great project. Needless to say it is indeed a dream project of many people imho vast majority of transaxle enthusiasts myself included.. A pity I did not see this thread before, since I am in the museum every few months, and i've been there last saturday so if you would tell me i could have done some shots for you in case you were wondering about some details. here's a couple of photos I made to the details of the car - most of them are useless as you are past bodywork and I can't find my chassis and fueling system photos but maybe that'll help a bit at some point. I keep my fingers crossed for you to succeed.
I have more detailed interior shots (shot when the doors were open) somewhere, but I can't find those now.. Same for the underside photos - somehow i can't find those now.

If you are interested in more detailed versions, i can send you full resolution photos, just message me:

whole exterior:

front:

front indicator/bottom lamp and detail of air duct fitment:

livery:

Front lamps labelling (both outside and inside) and hood latches:

side and the smooth roof:

take note of the smooth windshield fitment to the roof

take note of the sliding window, here are some photos of a similar window but on 924 carrera gt, main difference is the seal. GTP has no seal:

rear fitment, latches and fueling intake:

other side, and hatch view:

widebody mounts and inside:

take note of the poor bumper fitment:

take note the original GTP had the rear license plate extrude:

extinguisher system:

rollcage mount (barely visible - sorry )

interior:

sideline and indicator:

side exhausts (the short one is on both sides, the long one only on one):

drivers side, mirror, rollcage detail, hood latch:

rollcage part#. Sorry for the poor focus - i made this with my phone which was a bad idea..

rear:

Old 01-18-2015, 09:37 AM
Darryl H
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's some awesome detailed photos there! I really need to see this car in the flesh.
Old 01-18-2015, 10:17 AM
Kris H
Instructor

Thanks. i must have looked "a bit" unusual taking 100x time of what other people spent next to the GTP, and taking ridiculous photos in ridiculous poses - laying on the ground on my back included

By the way - i forgot to mention, but in the side-exhaust photo you can see how the rear widebody panel was mounted to the skirt/doorsill.

And yes, you have to go there. The distance you have to Stuttgart is practically the same to what distance i have, so you have no excuse You will definitely not regret. And boy you can learn so many extraordinary things - like this year on the prototypes' exhibition we learnt that in late SEVENTIES(!!!) they already tested the dual clutch PDK gearbox (in something that was basically a next-gen safety full-aluminium-body 928 workhorse).. And that's only one of the many fun facts.

And very importantly - you HAVE to visit Stuttgart's Mercedes museum as well.. It's another level in all honesty. The architecture, the idea behind how things are exhibited and the overall automotive beauty (in both style and technology) are amazing.

edit: WOW! Patrick, the e-bay photos are insane, outstanding, exquisite, amazing.. I'm so short for words on those.. That GTR is built very different to the Boss GTP in so many aspects, but still it's an amazing set, and can definitely help the OP a lot..

Last edited by Kris H; 01-18-2015 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Rom78
Advanced

Amazing pictures thanks a lot for sharing.

That's funny because the details you are showing were the ones on which we had to pay attention when we where making the body work definition.
For example the smoothed side between the roof and panels asked us some hours of work to obtain the same result.

Also concerning the rear wings, we had to completely modify the standart defintion of the body kit as it's much larger on the 944 GTP than on its sister of Le Mans 1980 and the #36 of 81).

The front was maybe the most difficult to do because of course nothing was existing and so i had to recreate all the front "mouth" and headlights' housings.

By chance, when we were doing all the chassis, bodywork and interior modifications, we had access to pictures of 005 restoration and it helped us a lot.

I still didn't have the chance to see 006 in reality but i hope to correct this one day

I could have seen it some years ago when it was in Le Mans for the "Porsche festival" but the entry price was so restrictive

Here it was :

Last edited by Rom78; 01-18-2015 at 02:35 PM.
Old 01-19-2015, 08:46 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Really great work as usual Rom!! Would love to see more detail on the cam drive system you're devising. Did you wind up using two exhaust cam blanks just to get the longer snout to run the twin pulley cam wheels?
Old 01-22-2015, 01:07 PM
Rom78
Advanced

Thank you Patrick.
We thought to use an exhaust one. But it doesn't have the exactly same angular cycle as the intake camshaft.
We preferred to machined the intake one to adapt our second pulley.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:36 PM
Kris H
Instructor

Yup - I confirm. No idea about the precise shape, but the exhaust shaft has significantly less lift to that on the intake side. I however will have my exhaust camshaft modified instead of using the short intake one.

Where did you adapt the pulleys and tensioner from?
Old 01-24-2015, 01:09 AM
himck
1st Gear

Terrific Thread.
I got to see the real deal myself in 2010. The sister car that was rebuild in the states a few years ago 924 005 is up sale in Germany for about EU300k.
Old 01-24-2015, 02:28 AM
laneskelton
Pro

Awesome project...can't wait to see it unfold.
Old 05-10-2015, 06:53 AM
Rom78
Advanced

Hi guys just to say we are still at work

Old 05-10-2015, 07:58 AM
Thom
Race Car

Received 41 Likes on 31 Posts

Looks great... Any chance to come by and see the car next weekend perhaps? Pm me your phone number.
Old 05-10-2015, 09:29 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 76 Posts

Such a great project! Keep us updated as you progress please. :-)
Old 05-10-2015, 10:16 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If there was only someway to replicate the whole head of the original car.

Quick Reply: 924 GTP - 944 LM re-creation