Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Noisy monoball rear shocks - fix?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 09:11 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Noisy monoball rear shocks - fix?

Has anyone replaced their rear shocks with high end Koni or Moton with upper and lower monoballs? When driving at low speed [40 mph and under] I can hear mine making a lot of racket so I wanted to see if others have experienced this and whether there's any fix. There doesn't seem to be any axial or lateral play with the installed mounting hardware so I wonder if I'm hearing the rear springs dancing around on their collars or the shock eyelets as they pivot somewhat around the bearings.
Old 11-16-2014, 10:57 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No experience. But put the car on a hoist and undo the bottom of the shock and check for movement at the top by moving the shock up and down slightly.

Same goes with bottom, but remove the shock.

Does it make a clunk clunk noise?
Old 11-17-2014, 08:35 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Did you also install Delrin bushings in the torsion bars? Mine make a squeeking noise on occasion, but the monoballs on my Motons are quiet.
Old 11-17-2014, 08:59 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 92 Likes on 62 Posts

I assume your shocks have 1/2" monoballs... Have you converted to 1/2" bolts, or are you running the original 12mm bolts, which will have play?

Are you using a coil helper in addition to torsion bars? If so, have you reindexed your torsion bars? Or is there not enough pre-load on the helper springs?
Old 11-17-2014, 12:17 PM
PorscheG96
Race Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jerome951
Did you also install Delrin bushings in the torsion bars? Mine make a squeeking noise on occasion, but the monoballs on my Motons are quiet.
I replaced all torsion bar bushings with new rubber and re-indexed. Thanks for sharing that your Motons are quiet - something is definitely wrong with my setup. I re-used the upper shock bolts so I'll measure the ID of the upper shock bearings and compare. The Motons have inner and outer spacers pressed into each monoball so they might actually be M12 and M14 spec already.

Thanks fellas!

Last edited by PorscheG96; 11-17-2014 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2014, 11:16 AM
jerome951
Drifting

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheG96
I replaced all torsion bar bushings with new rubber and re-indexed. Thanks for sharing that your Motons are quiet - something is definitely wrong with my setup. I re-used the upper shock bolts so I'll measure the ID of the upper shock bearings and compare. The Motons have inner and outer spacers pressed into each monoball so they might actually be M12 and M14 spec already.

Thanks fellas!
My Motons are ~8 years old and came w/ the proper-sized monoballs so I didn't have to adapt for the upper and lower bolts. Newer ones may be 1/2", though, as Van suggested.

Also check for rubbing of the spring or hat on the trailing arm. I had to space my lower shock mount out a bit for clearance.

Quick Reply: Noisy monoball rear shocks - fix?