Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New clutch installed, peddle is really soft?

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2014, 05:24 PM
jackkthemackk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New clutch installed, peddle is really soft?

I had a seized T/O bearing and decided to put in a whole new clutch, T/O bearing, pressure plate, and resurfaced the flywheel. After bleeding the new clutch yesterday it is significantly easier to disengage than my old one.. Should I be worried about this? I had my dad disengage and engage the clutch while I was underneath the car spinning the torque tube to see if it was correctly grabbing and it is (Trans is out). I replaced it with the sachs one on Ebay that was $610. Anyone know anything about it? I couldnt find any reviews.

This is what I ordered. -> http://www.ebay.com/itm/370615221119?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
Anyone else running any different clutches?
Old 11-08-2014, 09:38 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm using sachs cup clutch and noticed that when I did mine. Worked fine for me. My guess was the new pressure plate could open and close smoother then the old one all rusted up. As I used an OEM pp that was new. The pp is responsible for the clamping pressure and the force against your leg when you disengaged the clutch. The clutch you use doesn't really make a difference as it gets sandwiched in the pp, when talking about clamping/ release pressure.
Old 11-08-2014, 09:49 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Was this the same combination you had in there before? I would think everything would be the same if so. Maybe you had a different pressure plate in there? If all is working well, you're probably fine.

The square plate with the 6 little springs on the kit you ordered is an evil nemesis talked about here on the board. It is not uncommon for that plate to break off and the little springs start rolling around in your bell housing, waiting for a chance to wreak havoc. I didn't wait long enough for one to become lodged somewhere between the flywheel/disk/pressure plate, but the square metal piece spinning on the drive shaft did leave a groove. A 930 disk is a factory substitute which is cheaper , has a little more clutch material to it and is constructed more solidly IMHO. Paragon sells the same kit with the 930 disk. If you ever start to hear a spinning type rattling after you shut down, it's that little square piece that has popped off.

Quick Reply: New clutch installed, peddle is really soft?