Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Running temperature

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 02:53 PM
TurboAngel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Running temperature

So, November is here and the first frosty morning of the year today. I've been noticing that my "on the move" running temps seem quite low recently. I pulled the thermostat and its an 87deg version. It had been installed without the o-ring so I replaced it with a spare. It now runs a tad bit warmer but still under the first indicator mark (80deg).

Any idea why it should be running cool like this? What are you guys seeing on your gauges?

I swapped in another intrument cluster and the temps are the same so I doubt it's a bad gauge. The fans kick in just after it passes the first mark, again, seems too low compared with other 944's I've had. I'll pull the sender and check the wiring next but what is considered "normal" gauge readings in terms of cruising and fan operation?
Old 11-06-2014, 03:34 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboAngel
So, November is here and the first frosty morning of the year today. I've been noticing that my "on the move" running temps seem quite low recently. I pulled the thermostat and its an 87deg version. It had been installed without the o-ring so I replaced it with a spare. It now runs a tad bit warmer but still under the first indicator mark (80deg).

Any idea why it should be running cool like this? What are you guys seeing on your gauges?

I swapped in another intrument cluster and the temps are the same so I doubt it's a bad gauge. The fans kick in just after it passes the first mark, again, seems too low compared with other 944's I've had. I'll pull the sender and check the wiring next but what is considered "normal" gauge readings in terms of cruising and fan operation?
Mine is above the first line and under the half way point between both lines. 8 o'clock - 9 o'clock
Old 11-06-2014, 07:09 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

My car normally runs right at or just below the first line, even at the track.

I do run E85 which helps to keep everything cooler.
Old 11-06-2014, 08:10 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always just above the 80c mark, Summer and Winter. At consecutive long Stop Lights it may go to half for 30 seconds as the Fans wail. Very happy that it puts out real interior heat in 30 seconds from cold start up too. That wasn't always the case till I had the Radiator out and pro flushed after seeing what was in the Oil Cooler, ... scary stuff from 25 years of use. Too cold is not a usual problem, you may still have a Thermostat issue.
Old 11-07-2014, 12:02 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

After I had the WP replaced by a shop (I was stuck in CA on a 50/50 work/vacation trip) my car sits directly on, or juuuust above the first white line. According to my external water temp gauge (probe installed in the neck on the head, so pretty much the hottest point) it sits right around 195.
Old 11-08-2014, 01:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 534 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by TurboAngel

If it is just under the first hash (e.g., the needle touches the bottom of the has mark) then I wouldn't worry about it. If it's lower -- e.g. a full needle's width away from the hash mark -- then I'd probably replace the thermostat with a new Wahler unit. There are some cheap thermostats out there, and some places that sell a VW thermostat for our cars. If it's close and you don't want to mess with the thermostat, you can also increase the ratio of anti-freeze. The higher the ratio, the hotter the car will tend to run (not dramatic, but maybe enough...)
Old 11-14-2014, 01:33 PM
TurboAngel
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for your replies and suggestions guys.

It was a cheap thermostat afterall. I replaced it with a Wahler and its back close to the 80deg first mark and getting up to temp much quicker too.

Quick Reply: Running temperature