Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Mechanical Boost Gauge with tell-tale

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 11:41 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts
Default Mechanical Boost Gauge with tell-tale

I have been looking for a MECHANICAL boost gauge with the old style tell-tale needle. Porsche used to use these in there race cars. They were originally made by VDO. I have contacted most of the gauge manufacturers that sell here in the US (including VDO) .. and no one makes them anymore. The newer gauges that provide max boost info are all electric. If anyone has a mechanical one for sale or knows where I can purchase one ... please let me know.

Thanks,
944turbo
Old 08-19-2003, 03:51 PM
Gary
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Mechanical Boost Gauge with tell-tale

Originally posted by 944turbo
I have been looking for a MECHANICAL boost gauge with the old style tell-tale needle. Porsche used to use these in there race cars. They were originally made by VDO. I have contacted most of the gauge manufacturers that sell here in the US (including VDO) .. and no one makes them anymore. The newer gauges that provide max boost info are all electric. If anyone has a mechanical one for sale or knows where I can purchase one ... please let me know.

Thanks,
944turbo
I'm kind of surprised at this question - the gauges that are available from the performance guys (I got mine from huntleyracing a couple of years ago) are all mech. gauges and are tee'd off the pipe that enters the KLR box in the passenger footwell (i.e. the boost/vacuum pressure line). THe only electrics are for the bulb at the back to provide the night lights.

Gary.
Old 08-19-2003, 04:26 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Gary,

I have a mechanical gauge on my race car now. I also have an HKS IV electronic boost controller. All of the gauge manufacturers make both mechanical .... which just hooks up like u described (may have an electric light as well) , and electronic ones with max boost warning and peak and hold. I am looking for a mechanical one with a tell-tale needle to tell me what my max boost was. The electronic ones have more features ... but are arguably less acurate ... and I already have the electronic boost controler with boost reading. The older 935,934, 924gtr all had the mechanical ones with the tell-tale. You probably have a mechanical gauge like I do ... but without the tell-tale needle. I am looking for someone who may have one of these .. or know where I can find one.

944turbo
Old 08-19-2003, 07:33 PM
special tool
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

(44 - don't bother. Hollywood speedo will build you one from a 930 core, but they want $350 plus your speedo. They will also be the first to tell you that the needle rides on a small clutch which jams constantly - they are not as simple as they look.

Old 08-19-2003, 08:51 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Spec tool ... thanks for the info. That is probably why they have been disontinued by all the gauge manufacturers.

944turbo
Old 08-22-2003, 07:15 AM
86944turbo
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use an HKS, w/peak hold. Have for many yrs. Handier than dumping the MoTeC log. Have found that the peak hold portion of the gauge is approx. 1/2lb. optimistic (high), which is actually a good buffer. It takes a few tenths of a second for my boost to even out and HKS catches these peaks. Not sure about the other 1/2lb. Momentum?

Quick Reply: Mechanical Boost Gauge with tell-tale