Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

T04E,whose running one?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2003, 08:26 AM
shortyboy
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 25 Posts
Talking T04E,whose running one?

i need to know if this would bolt on to a 951?if not what would be fabricated?and how much do these turbos usually cost brand new.the reason why is because there is someone selling a brand new t04e,but wouldnt advertise the price on the web.so any help would be great.thanx
Old 08-19-2003, 09:54 AM
OZ951
Three Wheelin'

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Several folks run TO4E's on 951's, myself included, mine is a hybrid with KKK center section. It didn't fit in straight away I had to grind a small amount off one of the lugs on the compressor housing and I replaced the screws on thebottom of the throttle spring bracket with flush rivets. All that worked fine and there is no contact between any of those parts. Due to the size of the intake, it extends below the back of the alternator and can pose a problem for the turbo intake plumbing. Some guys overcome it with flexible hose, I ground away a small portion of the alternator casing and that significantly improved the clearance for the intake plumbing.
Old 08-19-2003, 09:55 AM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

Call Majestic turbo in Waco, TX. You can buy one from them direct .. pretty cheap. You really need a Garret (to4e or b)cold side and a KKK hotside to fit on the flange. With a to4e you have to mill down the compressor housing slightly to fit under the intake manifold. A very easy job.

944turbo
Old 08-19-2003, 09:58 AM
Ahmet
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm thinking about using a full garrett turbo. I realize a KKK hotside (original or replica) would make things easier, but that's more money and it limits my options significantly...
Ahmet
Old 08-19-2003, 11:32 AM
GaryK
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a T04E and it's a very tight fit. Runs great, but if I had to do it again, I would look for a Garrett with a 2.75" intake instead and possibly a smaller compressor housing - maybe a T04B? I also have a MAF and, even after grinding down the alternator housing, it's impossible to get a decent connection from the intake pipe to the turbo. I've got an early 944 alternator being rebuilt now; it's only 90 amp, but is small enough to fit much better with the T04E.
Old 08-19-2003, 11:34 AM
Bengt Sweden
Pro

What is the difference in performance between the hybrid and the full Garret?
What is the difference between to4e and to4b?

Bengt
Old 08-19-2003, 11:55 AM
TurboTim
Banned

Originally posted by Bengt Sweden [/i]
[B]What is the difference in performance between the hybrid and the full Garret?

From what I have seen about 50 horsepower at the same boost level.We make a header and crossover pipe that allows you to bolt right up to the T-4 hotside.Installing a true T-4 is the next big thing for making huge power out of these cars.I am just waiting for everyone else to figure it out;^)

What is the difference between to4e and to4b?

The TO4E is bigger and you have more compressor wheel options then the TO4B.

Tim
Old 08-19-2003, 12:11 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

I am also running a TO4E (3" inlet) with a Garrett center section and a KKK hot-side machined out for a stage three turbine wheel from Majestic . The turbo ran $720 with my supplied factory turbine housing. I re-made the water pipe to clear the turbo and re-worked the throttle return spring bracket to keep from having to grind the compressor housing. As for alternator clearance, I worked over the plastic duct on the back of the alternator and re-routed the wires going through it to improve the path leading to the inlet.

If you order from Majestic, make certain and verify what you get from them, they do good work at a good price, but they seem to be lacking a little in the paperwork side of the house.

Old 08-19-2003, 12:45 PM
GaryK
Racer

I had the same issues as Rob when the water feed pipe and throttle return spring, and there was no way I could get my alternator shroud back on. Personally, I think with limited mods like mine - exhaust/test pipe, MAF, chips, rebuilt/shimmed wastegate, 3bar fpr - the T04B would be sufficient and a much easier fit. BTW, my car with the T04E at 15psi dyno'd at 300rwhp.
Old 08-19-2003, 12:50 PM
Instructor

Rob makes an excellent point about Majestic. They do nice work but you will get a turbo in a box with little to no documentation of what they actually provided.
Old 08-19-2003, 01:56 PM
CarreraCup03
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 22 Posts

They do nice work ... and they will fix anything if it goes wrong. I had a to4e 60-1 hifi delivered from them. It arrived with a bent turbine blade .. they picked it up and overnighted it back to me .. I had it the next day.

944turbo
Old 08-19-2003, 02:13 PM
toddk911
Drive-by provocation guy
Rennlist Member

So, for the avg mods, i.e. looking for the magical 300rwhp mark, best bet and ease of fit is the T04B?? What is avg, price??? And can get that from Majestic direct??

How do the above compare with K-27??? (T04B/T04E vs. K-27)?? Price, performance, ease of install.

Actually, if anyone knows of some sort of charting, that would be awesome!!

A list of each turbo available(well ,the main compnay's , KKK, Garrett, Kolken etc.) , price, hp at specific psi (15) (assuming all else is equal), max psi capability and ease of install, i.e. level of fabrication needed, if any.
Old 08-19-2003, 02:52 PM
Rob
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally posted by GaryK
I had the same issues as Rob when the water feed pipe and throttle return spring, and there was no way I could get my alternator shroud back on. Personally, I think with limited mods like mine - exhaust/test pipe, MAF, chips, rebuilt/shimmed wastegate, 3bar fpr - the T04B would be sufficient and a much easier fit. BTW, my car with the T04E at 15psi dyno'd at 300rwhp.
Gary,

I see you are in Denver, do you have a dyno chart for that run and are you talking 15 psi gauge pressure? Also, any details on your turbo you'd be willing to share?

I went with a 46 compressor wheel and a Garrett stage three turbine wheel. I had Majestic machine out a KKK number 6 hot-side for the turbine wheel in an effort to decrease spool-up time.

If you order from Majestic, make certain and verify what you get from them, they do good work at a good price, but they seem to be lacking a little in the paperwork side of the house.
To elaborate on this a little, The first turbo I received had a 60 compressor wheel on it and a three inch inlet (I had ordered a 46 wheel and a 2.75" inlet). I called them up and they were very apologetic and took care of it. I ended up staying with the 3" inlet but with the 46 wheel.
Old 08-19-2003, 03:21 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Rob,
How do you like your turbo combination?
Does it spool up good?
Does it stay strong at top end?

That the exact setup i was going to do for next summer.
Thanks in advanced
Old 08-19-2003, 03:52 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by Ahmet
I'm thinking about using a full garrett turbo. I realize a KKK hotside (original or replica) would make things easier, but that's more money and it limits my options significantly...
Ahmet
You're going GT series then?

Quick Reply: T04E,whose running one?