Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Seriously considering another Porsche

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 11:02 AM
mdj577
Burning Brakes

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts
Default Seriously considering another Porsche

Really want a 928. Will post this in the 928 forum as well. But looking for opinions from a wider audience and might get some floks here who are dual owners.

Just about everyone I ask tells me to stay the hell away. Just as expensive to maintain/repair a 951, maybe even more so. But I am feeling the pull. Any advice on vintages/models. Especially would like input from dual (928/951) or prior 928 owners.
Old 10-22-2014, 11:29 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

I owned an '84 928S. It was a "driver" and a bit of a project car that I bought from a buddy who is a wiz with 928s. The more I dug in, the more I found it needed both in time, patience, knowledge and money. That said, I'd love to own another one, but one in a much better state.

They are completely different beasts than a 951. They are big, heavy, comfortable, fast and surprisingly agile given their size and weight. They are classic GT cars, a dream drive on long trips. Because they are unusual and not very common, they garner a lot of looks and attention, especially when they are Guards Red.

IMHO, these are their positive points. Strong engines with loads of torque, fast and agile given their size, very comfortable, can accommodate 2 adults and 2 kids, classic styling that is rather unique and of course that deep V-8 rumble.

Now their negatives. Expensive to maintain, even by Porsche standards, limited knowledge by most shops, excessively complicated electrical system that is prone to gremlins (bad grounds are a common reason for issues), limited performance enhancement options and many have not been maintained properly making them money and time pits. Or worse they've had jury rigged solutions applied to them. Even well maintained ones tend to have a number of issues.

So, my advice, if you are serious be ready to spend some money. Buy the best maintained, newest model you can afford and stay away from any that might be considered projects or need a host of maintenance.
Old 10-22-2014, 06:36 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well. Blonde or Brunette?

Drive them and see which one you like better, theyre two totally different cars. People are quick to point out that the 928 is heavy...but 9 out of 10 people here on the forums have never been to the race track, so who cares about weight? And the 1 of 10 that do race are probably losers with girlfriends that are so fat, they negate any of the weight savings the 951 offers

I like the 951 better, but thats just me.

Whats cool about the 928? A superior suspension front and rear, low end torque, and a transmission that wont scatter gears all over the asphalt on a hard launch.

They BOTH are money pits that can cost upwards of 10k to put in good shape if maintenance has been skimped on, so either way... buy the car that has the thickest folder of receipts.

Do NOT underestimate the cost of interior restoration on either car. Nice seats are no longer $300 a pair... and the 928 has leather EVERYTHING. Its really easy to blow 5-7k restoring an interior. So pay the premium for a very clean example.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:11 PM
odurandina
Team Owner

Location: one thousand, five hundred miles north of Ft. Lauderdale for the summer.
Received 213 Likes on 153 Posts

944 or 968 w/ American v8. of course. or 996 Turbo, GT3, etc...

enough running the silly vw garbage.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:54 PM
kem
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Finding a 5 speed manual is a pain too. Most 928's are autos.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:35 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 94 Likes on 55 Posts

928 is always a downgrade
Old 10-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

My mechanic sort of scared me off them, as he flat out refuses to work on them, but that is only because most of the time the owners have no idea of what they have and that often when trying to fix one thing other stuff can break, much like our cars, as after so many years often parts and hoses etc can be brittle. Having said that I now know a cpl of ppl who own them and I have also read what Bruce and Sean Buchanan(sp) have said about these often wrongly maligned cars. No one disputes that these cars, when everything is as it should be, are a whole bunch of awesome but it is often a big issue, if they are neglected, as they can be very expensive to get right. Down here is a little different, to stateside, as I think because these cars are rarer, and still Porsches, more have been given the love they need, although I have seen a cpl of horror cars, that would be best avoided.

If I was ever in a position to get one I would only consider it if the car was clearly loved, as the impression I get is that an unloved car may be far more financial pain than could be imagined by a novice owner. However a good one is something few would consider parting with, as the owners share the same love and passion for them, that many of us have for our 944's, even though our journey's with them can be painful, at times too
Old 10-23-2014, 11:03 AM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Keep 951 and buy 928 coffe table instead. 2 birds with one stone.

http://www.928motorsports.com/parts/...able%20004.JPG
Old 10-23-2014, 12:25 PM
Shawn Stanford
Rennlist Member

Received 862 Likes on 474 Posts

I have both a 951 and a 928 (my second 928).

The 951 is a classic sports coupe, the 928 is a classic grand tourer.

I have an '82 Shark. It has the 16v motor and an automatic transmission. My first was a '79 with a 5-speed.

I don't think they're any harder to work on than anything else. However, the parts can be crazy expensive, even by Porsche standards. The upshot is that there are a few reliable parts suppliers out there (928s R Us, 928 Int'l, etc.) that are truly dedicated to the 928. Plus: the knowledge and helpfulness of the 928 forum here is nothing short of incredible.

What you get is going to depend on what you spend, obviously. I spent $4k on my '82 and it's a project. But, that's what I wanted, and it's a driver. With twice that money and careful, patient shopping, you can find yourself a Shark that's as trouble free as any (Remember: you're talking about old cars here. There's always something getting ready to go wrong!).

Unless you're looking for something crazy, like an S4 or a GTS. Then you're into big bucks.

Spend some time lurking on the 928 forum. See what's going on. Search for a few 'best year' threads. Keep an eye on the weaknesses in the years you like. When you do start seriously shopping, don't be afraid to post the cars you're interested in to the forum: these guys can look at a set of pics and pick stuff out like you wouldn't believe. Plus: Guys get out of Sharks from time to time, and they offer them up here first - usually for a nice discount.

And if you've never driven a 928, post in the forum to find someone in your area that will let you take a ride. You might find that they're not your cup of tea.

Good luck with your search!
Old 10-23-2014, 08:05 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have always liked the 928's. Used to walk by a pristine late 70's model on the university of Georgia campus long time ago in the way back. Loved the looks of that car. I will probably get one, but at a point in life where it would be S4/GT/GTS territory with a five speed.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:49 PM
Black51
Three Wheelin'

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

To the OP, where are you located? I'm in Canada, and have an '80 for sale.
Old 10-24-2014, 07:13 AM
mdj577
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Black51
To the OP, where are you located? I'm in Canada, and have an '80 for sale.

I am in Chicago. A bit far but tell me about your car. PM?
Old 10-24-2014, 07:16 AM
mdj577
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Shawn Stanford
I have both a 951 and a 928 (my second 928).

The 951 is a classic sports coupe, the 928 is a classic grand tourer.

I have an '82 Shark. It has the 16v motor and an automatic transmission. My first was a '79 with a 5-speed.

I don't think they're any harder to work on than anything else. However, the parts can be crazy expensive, even by Porsche standards. The upshot is that there are a few reliable parts suppliers out there (928s R Us, 928 Int'l, etc.) that are truly dedicated to the 928. Plus: the knowledge and helpfulness of the 928 forum here is nothing short of incredible.

What you get is going to depend on what you spend, obviously. I spent $4k on my '82 and it's a project. But, that's what I wanted, and it's a driver. With twice that money and careful, patient shopping, you can find yourself a Shark that's as trouble free as any (Remember: you're talking about old cars here. There's always something getting ready to go wrong!).

Unless you're looking for something crazy, like an S4 or a GTS. Then you're into big bucks.

Spend some time lurking on the 928 forum. See what's going on. Search for a few 'best year' threads. Keep an eye on the weaknesses in the years you like. When you do start seriously shopping, don't be afraid to post the cars you're interested in to the forum: these guys can look at a set of pics and pick stuff out like you wouldn't believe. Plus: Guys get out of Sharks from time to time, and they offer them up here first - usually for a nice discount.

And if you've never driven a 928, post in the forum to find someone in your area that will let you take a ride. You might find that they're not your cup of tea.

Good luck with your search!
Thank you for the great advice. This is what I was looking for. I think I have the basics down (buy best example you can, insist on work history, keep an eye out for the rare opportunity) but talking to honest owners I think is by far the most valuable tool.

Thanks again for your input.
Old 10-24-2014, 02:46 PM
Jherriott
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hey there mdj577,

I have an '86 951 and an 87' 928 S4. I will eventually have a '73 911 and an '86 930 to complete my dream garage.

I personally don't understand the "hate on" a lot of enthusiasts here have for other models of the Porsche line. 911 owners that think they were born into royalty. 951 owners that harp on about the deficiencies of the 928 ad nauseam, really display an extraordinary level of ignorance. (Sorry Lart). Even the odd idiot that likes 951s, probably doesn't even own one... but says they are crap unless they are hybrids. (not sorry, odurandina). I don't think that the 928 owners have the same verbal afflictions. A classier crowd perhaps?

I have never had any problems with my 928. And I am sorry, as a 951 lover, my 928 makes it feel downright cheap. I drive my 951 in spring and fall as I enjoy the added 'boost' the colder air brings... but damn, I miss the 928 right now. So smooth, so effortless, such a damn good looking car. I am actually thinking of getting an 86.5 5 speed as well. That's how much I like them.

As with any car, get the best one you can, be patient. Any model of the Porsche line-up can bite you hard and quick if the previous owners haven't cared for them. Good Luck! I highly recommend exploring your curiosity!

Jase.
Old 10-24-2014, 03:44 PM
Kriz951
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out this GT in Boston (no affiliation):

http://boston.craigslist.org/gbs/cto/4718909809.html

Quick Reply: Seriously considering another Porsche