Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Question about boost control, chips, and fuel, question about Rogue A tune.

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2014, 07:58 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about boost control, chips, and fuel, question about Rogue A tune.

So I am new to the community, and reading a lot about these cars as I get mine tuned up to where it needs to be, before I start soupin it up.

So here is my question. I believe that when you change chips out to an aftermarket chip, you must run a set boost pressure that corresponds to the boost level the chips specify. You could probably run less boost, and then you would run rich. But if you ran more, you would end up running lean (bad) because the chips don't compensate for the changed boost value. Now, with the Rogue A tune, because it has the map sensor, is it capable of running an adjustable boost setup, and compensating for different boost settings? ie 15psi for street, and 13 for track? Does the Rogue A Tune play well with an electronic boost controller, and a Tial WG, at moderate boost levels? Seems to me like it should.

The setup I am starting to put together is as follows.
Tial 38mm wg
Apexi AVCR to control boost
Rogue A tune
Will probably need a new bypass valve as well, haven't figured that part out.
I can't remember if I need a 3 bar fpr to make that setup work.

My goal is to be able to reliably raise the boost to about 16-17psi for street, and drop it off a couple of psi for the occasional track day.

My car is an 89, so S spec, totally stock right now. It is in the process of getting the entire front end of the engine refreshed, and new ignition components, and will get injectors cleaned. It came with an autothority chip and banjo bolt that the previous owner removed when he bought the car. After some reading, I have determined that I do not want to use the autothority stuff, and the 3d maps and mumbo jumbo on the rogue site has me convinced that Rogue is the way.

Am I on the right track here? Or am I going to blow myself to smithereens? Ok, off to keep working on the front of the engine....
Old 10-07-2014, 08:44 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

You are right on track with your plan.

I also have an 89 and went from the Autothority chips to the Rogue A Tune.

The A tune completely transformed the low and mid range performance.

Having had a taste of the A tune prompted me to soon after, upgrade to the M tune.

This was the best money I have spent in terms of the smile factor.

BTW...I have a few sets of the TIAL WG adapter plates that you will need to bolt up the WG to your exhaust.

Please send a PM if interested.
Old 10-07-2014, 08:48 PM
darek_u
Pro

A Tune is the way to go. You won't be disappointed. And yes it will compensate for additional amount of boost up to 18 psi. You need 3 bar FPR if still using stock injectors.
Old 10-08-2014, 03:02 AM
SummitP
Instructor

Allright, good to hear. Fejjj, I may be needing a set of those plates in the near future, we'll see how the budget looks next month, I blew my wad buying the car, driving it home, and $600 of tune up/belt/seals. Gonna get it running well before I have I start installing the go fast goodies.
I have the tial wg coming with an 8lb spring installed, and the apexi avcr is on the way as well.
So next round of goodies will be the plates, 3bar fpr, and the A-tune. So it's a work in progress, just stoked to get it running again in the next week or so.
Just found out tonight that i need a new oil pump drive gear. yippee.

Quick Reply: Question about boost control, chips, and fuel, question about Rogue A tune.