Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sound Advice?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2003, 02:08 PM
Blueman33
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sound Advice?

Any educated thoughts on this sound idea?

I was considering replacing my cruddy original speakers in the rear with Alpine 4X6.

I didn't want a stereo shop to do it as it's somewhat tedius and didn't want to risk damaging the upholstry or whatever.

Some porsche mechanics swear the correct way is to remove the quater panel glass to "do it right", others say there is no need. A 'no need' quote is $140, a 'glass removed to do it right' quote is $200.

I then considered having a stereo shop run new speaker wires to the rear hatch and install larger speakers, maybe 6x9 to each of the cubby holes, and have the cubby hole carpet pad cover things still operable. My idea was to remove the foam, glue in a 3/16" plywood or similar between the carpet and pad. At this point we have the original covers with some strength laminated within. Then, install the speakers, and still have the limited use of the two storage places.

I'd get larger speakers, and think the cost would be equivelant or less,though i haven't gotten a quote yet.

Any thoughts on this idea? Anyone installed full range speakers in the hatch? 6X9 or other?

thanks
Old 08-16-2003, 02:33 PM
pikey7
Drifting

I believe some have done it without removing the window....

As for the 6x9"s, Have a look on www.clarks-garage.com in the FAQ's. I believe that the 10 speaker option had larger rears, plus a smaller tweeter, but I don't remember what! Maybe someone has fitted these to a standard car???
Old 08-16-2003, 04:22 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok, here's my .02......

I'm not really a big fan on rear speakers. They only tend to move the soundstage behind you and that's not really an effective way to re-create sound the way it was meant to be. Think of a concert. You're sitting center about 10 rows back. Smack dab in the middle of the speakers. That's the way you want it to be. You hear everything left/right with it right in front of you. Bass is non-directional so that doesn't matter. If you put big 6x9's in back, you'll end up hearing cymbals and such from behind you. It'll most likely play loud, given the right amp, but it won't sound like your centered with the band playing on the dash. The systems I recommend is front speakers only with a sub in the back. No rears in the cubbys, no rears in the stock location. With a good amp, you'd be surprised how loud a decent 4x6 will play in the doors. Heck, just using deck power for the front and a sub you'd be surprised. I know you mentioned a budget, I guess it's just up to what kind of sound you're looking for.
Old 08-16-2003, 05:52 PM
TurboTime
Instructor

Since Scott is not likely to toot his own horn too much, let me tell you -his cubby sub rocks!

I bought one and installed it on the driver cubby with a 400W amp hidden on the spare tire (custom job by me - I have no talent, just a desire to make it work since I spent the money...)

The sub has enough boom, that I only needed one.

Suggest you buy a good high-to-mid-range for the front (replacement), or new 4X6 replacement for the rears. Then install the sub with amp. Get a 4ch amp and hook them all up. You can do the install without removing the window, if you have small hands and are patient. Take the panel off first to check for magnet clearance.

Another suggestion, Blaupunkt makes a nice MP3 dash player that is a great German radio for about $300. Highly recommened by me anyway. Some like the new XM radios, just as long as you don't mind the ~$10/month for the service.

Have fun with it all, just my $.02

Greg
Old 08-16-2003, 07:33 PM
Blueman33
Pro

So Scott (and Greg for that matter)

I have alpine 4 x 6 plate speaker in the front.

Are you suggesting that running the sub to the cubby hole and simply disconnecting my crappy sounding back speakers would be the way to go?

or are you suggesting leave the crappy ones in?

the rear speakers round out the sound and add bass compared to front only, but in a muddled, 'old worn out speaker' sort of way. i don't think I want 'muddled' in the mix.

ok, give me $ .02 more please.
Old 08-16-2003, 09:35 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

Here is my $.02. I have a system that is by no means the best in the world, but it is great for me. I have 5 1/4" in the doors, 2 6x9's and 2 12" subs in the cubby holes. http://members.rennlist.com/eurospeed951/DSC00200.JPG

http://members.rennlist.com/eurospeed951/sound1.jpg

The 5 1/4's and 6x9's are Memphis Audio. As for the sound staging and having the 6x99's in the rear I could not disagree more. I have worked designing and running audio systems for porductions for years. I have also done a lot of my own testing, designing and researching of sound systems in these cars. This is my third design and by fare the best. If the sound system is designed and built correctly than the whole car is used and it's shape is used to make it sound like you are surrounded by the music. My system uses a combination of the shape of the cubby holes and the shape of the back hatch. The cubby hole shape makes for a great sub enclosure and the 6x9's are angled so that there sound reflects off the hatch and forward. The cost of my system was under $800 and I have yet to hear a 944/951 system that was better while retaining the cargo area, back seats and relitively low cost.
Old 08-17-2003, 09:17 AM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Originally posted by Blueman33
So Scott (and Greg for that matter)

I have alpine 4 x 6 plate speaker in the front.

Are you suggesting that running the sub to the cubby hole and simply disconnecting my crappy sounding back speakers would be the way to go?

or are you suggesting leave the crappy ones in?

the rear speakers round out the sound and add bass compared to front only, but in a muddled, 'old worn out speaker' sort of way. i don't think I want 'muddled' in the mix.

ok, give me $ .02 more please.
That is exactly what I'm suggesting. Keep your mids/highs in the front. Put some sort of sub in the back.
Old 08-17-2003, 01:07 PM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Is the rear cubby holes enclosure panel available for somewhere or do you have to make it yourself? I really like eurospeeds set up
Old 08-17-2003, 04:57 PM
*eurospeed951*
Burning Brakes

I made mine myself. I wish I had blue prints to help other build ones like mine. They are not very hard at all to make. I will try and find where I have posted details of the whole project if you are interested
Old 08-28-2003, 12:37 PM
B951S
Burning Brakes

Received 19 Likes on 3 Posts

Any luck in finding those prints??
Thanks
Old 08-28-2003, 12:45 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Another option which has been discussed a bunch and I just completed myself would be to put 6 1/2" speakers where the back 4x6" speakers are. I pulled the glass(sorry, but its so easy its not worth risking damage to the interior). On the 1987 and later cars like mine there is a plate to block off the 6 1/2" speaker. I unscrewed the plate...screwed in the speaker and covered the remaining opening with sound dampner material. Up front I stuck with the 4x6(infinity). Overall quality is excellent with enoug bass for most people. A sub would round it out perfectly, but the 6 1/2's provide a decent amount of bass if installed properly.
Old 08-28-2003, 01:47 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

I really need to take a picture of my setup, I've explained in several times before and IMHO it looks very clean and very easy to do.

4" x 6" front speakers, very easy to do, so I'll skip that part.

6" x 9" rear speakers, no glass removal, no pulling of the inner panel, leaves entire rear hatch deck area for cargo.

1. Replace foam pieces in rear inner fender area (cubby hole area) with plywood or particle board. Use the foam pieces as a template. Cut a hole in the center of wood for the speaker to drop into.

2. Place wood in proper place, lay carpeting over top. Trim away the carpeting using the holes in the wood as a guide. Glue carpeting to wood as desired.

3. Run wires from head unit behind dash and behind carpeting on the side of the passenger's footwell. Run wires underneath rocker cover, up along side of inner panel in back seat, keeping it flush if possible and under the carpeting for the rear hatch. From here, you can run the wires to both sides, and center if you put a sub in the spare tire area.

Rear speakers lay flat and, with grills in place, the entire hatch area is still functional. The sound is excellent in my opinion and was done in one afternoon.

Quick Reply: Sound Advice?