Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

86 Turbo values

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2014, 01:31 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts
Default 86 Turbo values

Need this boards opinions. Owned several 44 T's in early 90's, 911 since then. A local friend has an original owner 86 Turbo Blk/Blk with 36k miles. Car truly is immaculate. Wasn't looking for a car but this is a looker. He wants $21.5k firm. I would greatly appreciate some experienced opinions.
Old 09-28-2014, 01:46 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Definitely on the high end of the scale. Usually original or almost all original Turbo S's ('88 and '89) in immaculate condition sell for $15-$20k. Some highly modified, yet excellent condition cars are asking low $20's but probably have many more thousands invested in them to get to that point - not sure if they are getting their asking price.

IF it truly is in immaculate condition and all maintenance is up to date, I would still say the car is probably worth somewhere closer to $15k, but even that is a little high based on asking prices I see for what appear to be very good cars with relatively low miles (50-60k or less).
Old 09-28-2014, 01:49 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Check out this black '86 with 58,000 miles for $16,900.

http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/cto/4684710458.html
Old 09-28-2014, 02:15 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

It is all in what one is willing to pay.

The money always dictates the market.
Old 09-28-2014, 03:30 PM
s14kev
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts

I would consider $21.5K reasonable. It's not unusual for well kept moderate-higher mileage 951's to go for $10-15K. Most people paying $10-15K expect to spend a little more on maintenance after buying. The large numbers of very poor condition $5-6K 951's around tends to make everyone think that every 951 is worth very little

Just because it doesn't sell in a few weeks doesn't mean its overpriced. These are enthusiast cars with much lower numbers of buyers. It isn't a Camry that every second family is looking for. This is a unique car. Try finding another immaculate black on black 86 951 with 36K miles.
Old 09-28-2014, 04:12 PM
Tim-C.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by s14kev
This is a unique car. Try finding another immaculate black on black 86 951 with 36K miles.
+1

If one owner and very low miles are important considerations to you, you'll need to weigh the likelihood of finding another. I certainly think it's on the high side of the 951 market, but probably worth it. If, on the other hand, you just want a 951 to drive, modify as you go, etc, then this is probably not the droid you're looking for.

I own an '86 but tend to follow classic Ferrari (for work), Alfa, BMW and 911 markets a bit more closely. If we assume some of the classic car love will trickle down to the 951, then this car will look like a bargain in a few years.

Remember when a $21.5k E30 M3 was all the money? Or a well kept SC? Or an Alfa GTV? And don't get me started about Ferraris...

--Tim
Old 09-28-2014, 06:16 PM
ohniner
Rennlist Member

Received 277 Likes on 134 Posts

Very good observations, well reasoned points for me to consider. Thanks.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:22 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Except this price is the high price. So, understand that you are buying at the very top price. These cars aren't that rare and were looked down upon by the tail draggers, in their day, like the 914's. The 914 took what, 40 years to get to a point where the money put into them was on par with the market price? Same situation.
I'm not trying to dissuade you, per se, but 21k is a LOT for an 86 951, even in pristine condition. It's not a Ferrari!
Old 09-29-2014, 08:30 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Something is only worth what someone will pay. Down here they only bought in 110 944 turbo's(952) in 1986 and sold them for 2 years before bringing in 88's, and so prices are much higher for them relatively.

The problem that comes with rarity and high prices is the dilema of if you pay top $$s for a low K(or mile in your case) example is what do you do with it. To keep it low K means not driving it and keeping it priistine. Why buy a car that can't be driven ? If it as an investment, then you can sit it in a humidity and temp controlled bubble, doing enough maintenance to keep it in tip top condition, and wait for prices to go up and then sell it to capitalise on your investment.

If you buy it to enjoy it now and then with the hope it may go up, then as long as you get pleasure from it, then it really won't matter a great deal how quickly or otherwise the value changes, as it will bring you joy in the mean time.

I paid more than that for mine and have spent plenty on her since and couldn't care less what the current market dictates her worth is, as I have no pans to sell her anytime soon. If when I'm a lot older and unable to enjoy her, as I do today and whether she is more vauable or not, I may pass her on to her next guardian but only so someone else can enjoy the pleasure that these cars can provide. I may not ever sell her.

The point is if you are happy that this example is that rare and owning this example will make you happy then go for it and don't look back. If you have doubts or think that there are going to be plenty more just the same but cheaper, then move on. Even those these cars are much more common where you are, I still think that great examples are very thin on the ground and only going to get harder to find.

People spend a lot more on far more mundane new cars and are happy with their choices and those same cars depriciate at an alarming rate. This is a Porsche and unlikely to go down in the longer term but the real question is why do you want it ? If it is that owning a unique and amazing car will bring you joy then that is your answer but if it is to make money then there are probably better options.

As to what ppl on a forum think, then of course you will get plenty saying you are paying over it's worth and no doubt some here may have found better buys for themselves but it's really about would you be happy paying that much for a great example ?
Old 09-29-2014, 08:49 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If I was buying a 36k, 28 year old car I'd want to know how it's done those miles. It may have crawled around in city traffic for as many hours as a 150k car has done on the freeway, or done lots of 2 mile trips to work and back.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:15 AM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

Are you considering it for yourself?

If so, what are your intentions? To drive it? Or just park it/show it?

If your plan is to buy it to drive it, man, I'd look elsewhere. I think the car is only worse close to that $$ as a concours/collector car (and IMO it might still be a little high but probably not out of the ballpark). To blade7's point: it's 28 years old. Stuff fails now due to AGE, and believe me, I can tell you, electrical gremlins are a PAIN on these cars... and that's where most of the age failures seem to be. One minute, car runs great, next minute, you're on the side of the highway waiting for a tow truck.

If your plan is to put 1-2k miles a year on it, drive it to concours events and show it, then it's probably not a bad buy. Good friend of mine has an '86 with ~65k on it, it's gorgeous. He's owned it 6 years and has maybe put 3,000 miles on it. He's managed to not worry about most of the gremlins I've fought with my car over that same timeframe by simply not driving it (I've put over 50k on mine!) To each their own.
Old 09-29-2014, 09:50 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Bruce has articulated (well) my thoughts exactly!

If you love the car then buy it.

At the end of the day, or 10 years and many smiles later, wether you paid 15 or 20 will be irrelevant.
Old 09-29-2014, 11:07 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

The most important thing is actual condition, and part of this is compression test and leakdown. All 944 odometers are suspect because if you push the mileage reset button while moving, it strips an odometer gear. Almost every 944 I am aware of has had the odometer inoperable at some point or another. Not a big deal, just let the engine tell you the true health.
Old 10-01-2014, 10:53 AM
Baptizo
This didn't cost
me any drachmas
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I've owned mine for 4 years and have put just over 4k miles on it yet it sits most of the time in the garage. I don't need it for a DD - I have a company vehicle - so it's really about what you'll be using it for that'll determine if it's the right one for a buyer.

As for value, I'd say the OP's example is overpriced but if it's what someone is willing to pay, more power to them.

Quick Reply: 86 Turbo values