Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Welding pin hole on Header???

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2003, 04:47 PM
blurry951
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Welding pin hole on Header???

Has anyone welded a pin hole up on your exhaust manifold while it is still in the engine bay connected to the engine? Reason I ask is obvious if you have done a rebuild or tried removing the headers before,...it's a BITCH!!!
Of course the fuel rail would be turned off and blocked off by a sheet of metal during the process. Any comments are appreciated...
Old 08-15-2003, 11:34 PM
MHT
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

where is the pin hole? I have welded many exhausts on the car with no problems, if you have a fuel leak I would suggest fixing that first, also clean off any oily residue, so you dont start a fire. The "book" says to disconnect any control units to avoid any possibility of damage, your call. Do you still have the stock exhaust manifold, if so then most of it is covered by heat shield. The only leak I have seen on a turbo manifold was a crack between #2 pipe and the flange at the cyl head.
Old 08-16-2003, 01:20 AM
nine-44
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went to school for welding, they always said that the current does not go to ground per say. It just needs to complete the circuit with the welder. You are putting NO current through the electrical system and it should not create any static. I see no porblems with doing it as is. I, myself, pull the negative cable at the battery, that's it. Any shop of any kind doing welding work would most likely not even bother. Even if you did create some static from welding, having the system together and grounded as factory would safely dissipate any static. Good luck, keep a fire extinguisher handy

Quick Reply: Welding pin hole on Header???