Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

New 951 owner, intro, and timing belt progress, AOS?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2014, 06:12 PM
kevincnc
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very cool SummitP. It sounds like you did a great job on the front of the engine. Here is what I did when I got mine-
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...-pictures.html

I agree with ehall on the above. As for electrial, I just cleaned my grounds and everything is fine. If you have cracking insulation/corroded connectores, that's a different story.

I think the most important thing to get before you start modding is a good boost gauge and WBO2. I finally just put on a 3" exhaust after putting on the Vitesse stage 2 and all related goodies over the years, and it (the exhaust) is probably the first thing that I should have done.

If you're digging deep enough to inspect 25 year old rubber stuff, I'd say replace everything you can afford. I went nuts and used OEM fuel lines, etc., but I'd feel comfortable driving mine across the country and back now. Have fun, I'm sure you know that you'll never be finished no matter how perfect it is..
Old 10-31-2014, 10:33 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

SummitP,

I live out in Tooele and frequent C&C as well. Haven't been the last few weeks because my car is up in the air, but we should meet up sometime. I always love helping wrench and have done quite a bit to these cars so if you need any assistance, hit me up!

When it comes to pulling the turbo and what to look for under the intake, let me know and I can come up and help.

I also have quite a few spares from my old engine, so if anything breaks or you need a specific part, let me know and you may be able to have a replacement same day.

Last edited by Darwantae951; 10-31-2014 at 11:49 AM.
Old 11-10-2014, 10:23 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Pleasure meeting you yesterday. Glad we got that turbo out!
Old 11-12-2014, 04:46 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah Darwin, thanks for your help, it was good to meet you too. I have new hardware coming for mounting the turbo. The short allen bolt is going to the trash.
Getting ready to place a parts order, getting all new coolant hoses, all new ICV hoses, new vacuum lines, (may keep the plastic ones), new AOS seals and hoses, new gaskets, crush rings, and o rings for the turbo mount, blah blah blah.
I'll try to take some pictues as I go.
First thing first, gotta get my turbo sent down to Charlie at Evergreen.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:15 PM
SummitP
Instructor

I'v been getting some work done on the car the last couple weeks, (not much, but some)
I have replaced all the coolant lines with new pieces, replaced the heater control valve.
I managed to get the factory wastegate off, that was a sonovabitch, and I pulled my tial apart to see what spring was in there and to rotate the valve body to allow the fitting to clear the adapters I got from Fejjj. Waiting for a couple more seals to get the WG in.
Turbo has been sent out and rebuilt by Charlie at Evergreen.
I am going to try to get the AOS, heat shields, steering linkages, and the Turbo, put back together this weekend.

I have finalized my setup for the intake, and the boost control, an would be interested in any feedback on my choices before I install the stuff.
I ordered a Vitesse MAF+ kit, with injectors, and 3 bar fpr.
I am using a tial 38mm WG with a .7 bar (10.2lb) spring in dual port mode, and it will be controlled by an Apexi AVCR.
I have an AEM wideband I would like to use to monitor A/F ratios.
The exhaust is the stock exhaust, however a test pipe has been welded in place of the stock cat.

I started too many sentences in this post with I.
Old 01-18-2015, 11:56 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts

I think you will like the Vitesse MAF.

I like mine.

I can agree that Charlie definitely knows turbos. I have a LR53 that he modified for twin seals so it would quit smoking!

I appreciate you sharing your experiences with us.
Old 01-19-2015, 10:35 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey man, sounds like great choices!

Even if you're not ready for new exhaust, this is the best time to get a new downpipe in. I put a fabspeed in while i had my turbo out (and now have rest of it in boxes).

Also - if I would have had more foresight, i would have used the chance to pull the crossover and have lindsey make the 2-piece. This will pay for itself as soon as a job comes up like oil pan gasket, clutch, removal of exhaust manifolds, etc.
Old 02-20-2015, 06:38 PM
SummitP
Instructor

Update:
I have made quite a bit of progress, and am just about ready to start her back up. I have completed the following work...
Engine got the front end service in sept, with all new WP, seals, rollers, belts, thermostat, etc...
More recently it got all the heater hoses changed out for fresh ones.
Got new AOS seals and hoses, gasket for the heater on the block,
Turbo was rebuilt by evergreen, and all new sealing rings, turbo mounting seals, crush washers etc...
All new vacuum lines, ICV lines, etc...
A brand new Vitesse MAF+ with MAP sensor was finished up yesterday, this should be great, very excited about this.
Tial 38mm wg was added in dual port mode, with all new hardware, exhaust sealing rings, etc...
AVCR is installed, just need to finish up the wiring under the dash to get this finished. It came with a cut harness, so I am making a new one, that is a bit of a hassle, though was a great excuse to buy a new soldering iron to replace my old POS ones that have finally found their way to the garbage.
All hardware was cleaned with a wire brush, (not as nice as new zinc coating, but it doesn look much cleaner. Intercooler was pulled and cleaned. Intake manifold was blasted, inside and out, looks nice and clean... in retrospect, I should have had it powder coated...
All my wire harnesses for speed and ref, etc looked pretty good and were not brittle.
Installed Larts fuel lines, and 72lb injectors from vitesse along with a 3bar FRP.
Just need to toss the drive belts back on, change out the fuel filter, and finish up the AVCR and WBo2 wiring.
Now that I am almost done, it of course starting snowing this morning...
Once I get it running well, March's project with be the suspension refresh. Bushings surprisingly look to be in great shape. So I will just be doing a set of new inserts with the paragon coilover kit, and new shocks in the back. Don't worry, I didn't hack up the M030 units, lart sent me a set of pre hacked units.

This might be a question for John at Vitesse, but where do you think I will be power wise with these mods, and what is a good safe boost level to run?
Mods:
Vitesse MAF+ with MAP
Tial 38 dual port
AVCR to control
72lb injectors
Fresh k26/8 (not a mod, but is rebuilt, so should be an upgrade... should have sprung for the k27/8, oh well, next year...)
Old 02-20-2015, 09:02 PM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 74 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are running pump gas and NOT e85, then 17 lbs of boost is a fairly safe boost level.

At 17 lbs of boost, my guess would be around 310 RWHP.
Old 02-20-2015, 10:25 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Without knowing your AFR's, I would stay pretty conservative until I did. Maybe you mentioned a WBO2 set up and I missed it? Either way, stay pretty conservative until you know what you are looking at, in those terms. Congrats!
Old 02-21-2015, 12:21 AM
SummitP
Instructor

yeah, I'll keep it nice and conservative to start. I will probably run a bit around 10psi, and as I get comfortable, start turning it up a bit. Now to get off of my but and go do some wiring work on the avcr.
I found this diagram and notes, and think it is the best one I have found so far... does it look right to you guys?

Old 02-21-2015, 07:31 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Don't know about the AVCR, but, you should put a few bucks away and buy a WBO2 set up, for the car. I run a Zeitronix, but there are plenty of other good options. AFR is critical.
Old 02-22-2015, 03:24 AM
SummitP
Instructor

Yeah, I have an aem uego that I wired in today as well. I am waiting on a bung and need to get it welded in.
I got the car started tonight. Of course I forgot to install the fuel pump fuse so that had me scratching my head for a few minutes, but once that got in, it fired up, ran rough on a couple cylinders for a bit, before it mellowed out. Now it seems to be blowing some smoke, not coolant, so i think I may have some unburt fuel going through the system that is causing the smoke. Does that sound plausible?
After it smoothed out, it runs well, sounds good, good throttle response, just blowing some smoke out the tail pipe. I have not cat...
The avcr is picking up a clean rpm signal, and speed signal, so I should be able to adjust my boost for different gears. Oz's diagram says to tap dme 1 for rpm signal, but I found other threads that said that signal is dirty and doesn't work well with the avcr, and they said to use dme 21. It is a shielded wire that supplies the signal to the tach. Because it is shielded, I had to tap it super close to the dme plug, not too tough, and the rpm signal is spot on now. The AEM wideband gauge powers up, just need to get the sensor installed.
Old 02-22-2015, 01:31 PM
SummitP
Instructor

I just had another idea, I pulled and cleaned out the intercooler with simple green and distilled water. Maybe there is some residual fluid in there causing the smoking.
Old 02-22-2015, 04:19 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Most likely, there is just some residual cleaning/oil funk, in various places, that is burning itself off. I also forgot the fuel relay once. lol You are just so ready to crank it up, it's easy to forget that. Run the car for a day or two and see if it goes away. If not, then start worrying about it.

Quick Reply: New 951 owner, intro, and timing belt progress, AOS?!?!