Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Yet another creeping idle thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 10:45 AM
jharvat
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yet another creeping idle thread

(Posted this last night in the other 944 Forum but probably more appropriate here)

Just took delivery of a 1986 944 Turbo. I took it out for my first drive last night and, when I started, it idled at around 1100 rpm. As the car got warm, the idle crept up to about 2000 rpm and, toward the end of the drive, it was near 3000 rpm. (Of course, it hadn't done that when I took the pre-sale test drive).

Blipping the throttle makes no difference. However, when I hook my foot around the back of the accelerator pedal and pull back, the idle goes down. As soon as I let off the pressure, the idle goes back up.

The car has been out of regular use lately so not sure if things are stiff from disuse or if I have a bigger problem. I checked the throttle cable and it is moving freely.

I read a number of threads and seen a dizzying array of potential causes and solutions. Given this set of symptoms, any suggestions on where to start?

Thanks in advance for any insights on this.

Last edited by jharvat; 09-26-2014 at 11:05 AM.
Old 09-26-2014, 12:54 PM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

So first start with two things: 1)proper idle reset. Go to the lindsey racing web site, go to their tech articles, and do the full idle reset as described

2) the array of things it could be is not too dizzying if you have found mechanical (physical) issue by playing with pedal.

If it were me, check the whole cable, full idle reset, then look in throttle body itself if it still seems to be physically sticking.
Old 09-26-2014, 01:32 PM
jharvat
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry, RaleighBahn, I started reading about crimped floors and bad KLRs and the room started to spin. I located the Lindsay page and will start there.

Thanks!
Old 09-26-2014, 02:09 PM
User 52121
Nordschleife Master

Received 134 Likes on 91 Posts

If pulling back on the throttle pedal lets the idle come back down I'd say that it's a pretty safe bet the issue is with the throttle cable.

Make sure it's routed properly under the hood and can't get pulled or pushed when the engine torques. You might need to loosen the two 10mm nuts on the cable where it mounts to the intake manifold and readjust it there.
Old 09-27-2014, 03:58 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What Omni said.

Quick Reply: Yet another creeping idle thread