Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Need to make TPS harness.

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2014 | 06:02 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Hi Sean
Yes I have already fited speed and ref sensor harness, and have a harness for fuel inj and eng temp sensor(not fitted yet). Both from LR.

As I have already done S&R harness and have seen how massively intimidating the whole harness could be, I thought I would just replace the main harnesses for now. I also see the logic of doing whole thing but am hopefull that just doing main ones should buy me a few years of trouble free motoring. My mechanic was saying a few years ago they had similar probs with 993 and harness replacement was often the best option so maybe doing whole harness is inevitable.

I would have happily bought a TPS harness too, but couldn't find a vendor, so figured making it was only option. Buying the crimper and finding suppliers may mean I can make them up for others if there is demand but not sure how cost effectively they could be made, until I get mine made. If it is viable, and thats a big if, I may well start making them and look at making other harnesses but am mainly interested in getting my car sorted for now.
Old 12-07-2014 | 02:25 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

I am making harness now. Getting wires into the high temp protective tubing was a learning experience. I wrapped the wires in teflon tape and had to do about 1 metre sections of the protective tube. Once on the tube can be slid into each other so they are over lapping and harness is fully proteced but I will fit heat shrink over joins just to make sure it stays secure.

I have attached the TPS connector

Name:  TPS harness Pic1.jpg
Views: 694
Size:  56.5 KB
Old 09-08-2015 | 05:58 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Update. I never got around to fitting this but am planning on fitting it tomorrow and going back over my notes it dawned on me I am not sure on where to connect Pin 4 ground.

Do I use KLR pin 20(electronic ground) or should I tap in somewhere else as I know DME has several grounds ???

If anyone knows the answer that wold be great as I am worried if I use pin 20 and it is connected to something else I could cause an issue
cheers
Bruce
Old 09-09-2015 | 02:42 AM
darek_u
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Pin 4 goes to welding point #4 - thinner (6mm2) ground on bellhousing. It combines together all other grounds from DME, KLR and sensors except for DME 16, 17, 19 and KLR 14 - I think these are grounding injectors, CV and ignition coil through computers. In fact looking at the DME analog schematic all grounds are bridged inside the box...
So yes - you should be ok using pin 20, it goes to the same welding point as TPS pin 4.
Old 09-09-2015 | 05:54 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Thanks Darek. Much appreciated.
We decided to re-terminate pin 20, leaving orginal wire combined with the wire from my TPS harness, so if it was used by something else, like another sensor, we wouldn't be removing the other sensors ground.
Old 09-10-2015 | 10:39 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For future reference, it was made available last year some time.

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...-951-TPSC.html

Its very cut and dry to install, I just cut my tps harness about 4-5" and soldered the terminals in. In terms of ground, just pick a good one. Its a simple on/off idle/wot switch with a potentiometer.

Speaking of which, you can now redo most of the harness with Lindsey's kits... It took me a good 8 hours qnd a lot of patience, but it really cures a lot of the intermittent electrical quirks.

Quick Reply: Need to make TPS harness.