Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Fabspeed (FS) Cat delet and Exhaust review

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2014, 11:26 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Did you use the Maxflo muffler or go with something else?

This spring I installed a Lindsey Racing 3" exhaust with a Maxflo muffler and race cat. It sounds like we both have similar experiences with performance and sound. There's a bit of an "angry growl" to it when pushed but it's fairly tame during normal driving with a hint of that "anger." If definitely doesn't have that "ricer" sound, thank the Lord. One thing I have noticed is spool up is noticeably quicker now, something none of us would complain about. The LR exhaust is supposed to be similar in it's "plug and play" ease of installation. I helped my mechanic and I wouldn't exactly say it was plug and play. We had to do a good bit of finagling to get everything aligned. Without a lift the installation would have been a real PITA.
Old 09-18-2014, 03:58 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 76 Posts

blade7 " What's the point in polishing it, if I was buying one I'd rather have some $$$ off instead."

I understand your sentiment. I too am a funcntion over form guy at the margins. But if you can marry both together the result is hard to beat. I think FS accomplishes that.

"one is going to see it unless you roll it."

As was mentioned, the muffler and tip is striking.

Cyberpunky " um because when clean it looks like this"

Looks nice!!

I am also working on cleaning up my engine bay. Completely stock right now. Pic:
Attached Images  
Old 09-19-2014, 06:35 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
Did you use the Maxflo muffler or go with something else?

This spring I installed a Lindsey Racing 3" exhaust with a Maxflo muffler and race cat. It sounds like we both have similar experiences with performance and sound. There's a bit of an "angry growl" to it when pushed but it's fairly tame during normal driving with a hint of that "anger." If definitely doesn't have that "ricer" sound, thank the Lord. One thing I have noticed is spool up is noticeably quicker now, something none of us would complain about....
Cata. you have nailed exactly how my system performs. I had heard the FS muffler is basically a maxflo but have no idea if that is true or not. Possibly it is just good mufflers will naturally have a smilar result, and thats why we think they are good. Mine definitely spooled quicker but didn't feel quite as strong at the top end, so I think the FS is a better street set up espesh in winter/wet. It may turn out that it is a still a better track system too, as power rolls on a lot more smoothly so may give better drive off boost. The old system was awesome fun in the twisties and for over taking B doubles but only a back to back test would prove which was quicker on a track. I have no doubt though the previous system would perform better on a dyno.

Originally Posted by mdj577
blade7 " What's the point in polishing it, if I was buying one I'd rather have some $$$ off instead."

I understand your sentiment. I too am a funcntion over form guy at the margins. But if you can marry both together the result is hard to beat. I think FS accomplishes that.

"one is going to see it unless you roll it."

As was mentioned, the muffler and tip is striking.

Cyberpunky " um because when clean it looks like this"

Looks nice!!

I am also working on cleaning up my engine bay. Completely stock right now. Pic:
Be careful as that is how the problem starts

Old 09-19-2014, 08:14 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky

Your top mounts are filthy
Old 09-19-2014, 09:02 AM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Cyberpunky
Cata. you have nailed exactly how my system performs. I had heard the FS muffler is basically a maxflo but have no idea if that is true or not. Possibly it is just good mufflers will naturally have a smilar result, and thats why we think they are good. Mine definitely spooled quicker but didn't feel quite as strong at the top end, so I think the FS is a better street set up espesh in winter/wet. It may turn out that it is a still a better track system too, as power rolls on a lot more smoothly so may give better drive off boost. The old system was awesome fun in the twisties and for over taking B doubles but only a back to back test would prove which was quicker on a track. I have no doubt though the previous system would perform better on a dyno.

Wow, I think I have your sickness. Was just looking at some polished parts.

Also: How do you like the A-tune? Looking to get some more go and not sure if A or M is the way to do it.

Thanks

-Mike
Old 09-19-2014, 09:22 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by blade7
Your top mounts are filthy
I am glad you can take pleasure from the hell I have to live with on a daily basis. You clearly have no idea of the shame I feel knowing that I filthy top mounts and thank you for pointing it out to everyone to just increase the shame. I'll just go and rock quietly back and forth in the corner
Old 09-19-2014, 09:51 AM
Cyberpunky
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by mdj577
Wow, I think I have your sickness. Was just looking at some polished parts.

Also: How do you like the A-tune? Looking to get some more go and not sure if A or M is the way to do it.

Thanks

-Mike
Mike search Crazy Eddie and you will see what this sickness can lead too

A tune is great (when my car is running properly) and could live with it easily but I have had some major issues with AFM and wiring to TPS, so I havent been able to enjoy it much yet. These problems started just before I got the A tune.

I am the point now where I am about to replace a lot of the engine bay harness and also want to ditch the antiquated AFM, just for reliability. I am going to upgrade to an M tune as soon as I can get my hands on one.

If I hadn't had the issues I am having, I think the A tune would have been all I needed for some time and an M tune may have been something I went to way down the track(maybe) but now the idea of bypassing the old tech of the AFM appeals to me. It's the way Porsche(and everyone else) went a few years after our cars were made anyway and so although not original, I have no issue modding car to increase reliablility and better performance is a great bonus.

I am not interested in getting a bigger turbo or making car massively faster but being able to just enjoy the car and have it reliable is why I now want an M tune. Going to a MAF just makes sense to me compared to using the factory AFM and I think the rogue solution is the best engineered for simplicity being almost plug and play.
Old 09-19-2014, 11:33 AM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mdj577 -- any chance that you're going to the PCA Porsches and Pastries event tomorrow morning? I'd love to see/hear the FS system in person. I have a Bursch test pipe with a cherry bomb muffler welded in where the cat was and a stock cat back right now. Despite being Jet Hot coated, the test pipe is rusting through from the inside out and probably needs to be replaced rather than welded. It gave around a decade of service, so no complaints. I'm kind of torn on just replacing the test pipe with a Fabspeed vs. doing the catback too.
Old 09-19-2014, 01:35 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

KLR-
What are the Porsches and Pasteries details (time, place)? I may if I can fit it in.

Cyberpunky-
I have seen on the forum here that Josh, the Rogue tuning guy, is taking a little break because his wife just gave birth. As soon as he has time to get back in action I may go with an M-tune as well. Will look up Crazy Eddie. Thanks for the info!!

-Mike
Old 09-19-2014, 05:01 PM
KLR
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here you go -> http://pca-chicago.org/downloads/201...striesSept.pdf

8am tomorrow at LaBiola in Oak Brook. It's in a shopping plaza (big lot) off 88 just west of 294. I'll be there so long as it's not raining.
Old 09-19-2014, 06:11 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KLR
Here you go -> http://pca-chicago.org/downloads/201...striesSept.pdf

8am tomorrow at LaBiola in Oak Brook. It's in a shopping plaza (big lot) off 88 just west of 294. I'll be there so long as it's not raining.

Shoot. It does look like it may rain. That may be a factor for me as well. If I make it I will look for you. Your car is the one in your avatar right?
Old 09-19-2014, 08:38 PM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually, if Fabspeed offered a non-polished exhaust I'd be all over it. That shiny exhaust is the only thing that get's me questioned every time I go for a smog check. If it were dull (or more stock like) I'm sure it wouldn't get a second thought...
Old 09-20-2014, 02:54 AM
lart951
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 93 Likes on 55 Posts

did anybody say bling? bling systems guarantee to boost your bling factor 200% are ready to ship from Larts
Attached Images     
Old 09-20-2014, 12:37 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by KLR
mdj577 -- any chance that you're going to the PCA Porsches and Pastries event tomorrow morning? I'd love to see/hear the FS system in person. I have a Bursch test pipe with a cherry bomb muffler welded in where the cat was and a stock cat back right now. Despite being Jet Hot coated, the test pipe is rusting through from the inside out and probably needs to be replaced rather than welded. It gave around a decade of service, so no complaints. I'm kind of torn on just replacing the test pipe with a Fabspeed vs. doing the catback too.

KLR-

Great to meet you at Porsches and Pastries this morning. We lucked out with the weather. Your '87 looks great!! Let me know what when you decide to do the exhaust project.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:41 PM
mdj577
Rennlist Member

Lart-

Just received fuel lines, starter, idle valve from you. Everything was great as I expected. But please don't show me any more polished parts. Not fair.

Quick Reply: Fabspeed (FS) Cat delet and Exhaust review