Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Problems ahead? White smoke out the tail pipe...

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2003, 11:36 PM
951and944S
Race Car

Received 65 Likes on 56 Posts

Ian, I'm with David also, it's possible that it's not coolant smoke but the affect of rich mixture washing oil from your cylinder walls causing it to smoke like a two stroke engine although the drop in collant level doesn't sound promising. Does your crankcase fill cap have a strong fuel smell...?

David, can you detail just what you did re. restricting oil pressure to the turbo feed line and be more specific about the conclusion you arrived at..?
Does your turbo have staggered seal rings...?

Terry S.
Old 08-14-2003, 07:38 AM
David Salama
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 8 Posts

To restrict the turbo oil line, John from Andersen Motorworks sent be a restrictor that screwed into the oil feed line on top of the turbo. The opening to the turbo oil line looks to be about 1/10th of the original size. This did not stop the white smoke at idle, but my car no longer blows oil on boost. I have much less oil spitting out the tail pipe, and I no longer have clouds of white smoke in the dyno room on boost. The white smoke at idle only started after I bought the Siemens 55# injectors. At first I thought I had a leaking injector and replaced one at a time, but this did not help. Then I replaced my injectors with my stock units. The white smoke stopped. I put the 55#ers back in and stopped worrying about it. You are probably right on that the gas is washing out some oil and causing oil burning. That would explain why the smoke is white. Good thinking. Still not sure why it only happens when cylinder temps are down, since it goes away after running the car hard. Oh well, one of those unsolved mysteries.
Old 08-20-2003, 08:42 AM
fast951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 37 Likes on 27 Posts

Ian,

Check you fuel mixture, if overly rich you can experience the problem you described...

You can run a coolant test to check for a bloawn gasket. I recommend against the restrictor in the turbo oil feed line... However if you want want I can send you one when I get back to the US in Sep...

Quick Reply: Problems ahead? White smoke out the tail pipe...