Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Water injection: any experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2014, 07:58 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water injection: any experience?

Have you experience with water injection?
I read in internet that has many benefits.
Please tell me more...
Old 07-13-2014, 08:23 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=m...m=119&ie=UTF-8

I personally am not a fan on it.
Old 07-13-2014, 01:31 PM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

I have used it. It absolutely works to reduce detonation on boost when running gasoline. It allows you to add timing and boost without pinging, which is where the power comes from. So you need to have tuning control to make power with it. Although meth is a fuel and in theory adds its own power, I've found that water does a much better job reducing detonation (assume each car is different) and so the car does better with a 75/25 mix of water/meth. 100% water is even more effective, but then you can start to see steam/froth in the oil cap.

Take a look at the Aquamist system. It has a strong fail-safe system and a PWM-activated injector, more like a fuel injector than the traditional water injection systems - so you can program the amount injected more precisely based on boost, injector duty cycle etc. (Based in Europe too...)

Do you have E85 locally? That might be a simpler way to achieve a similar (better?) effect without the added complexity. I hope to compare the two at some point....
Old 07-14-2014, 06:45 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Tom, here in Italy we havn't E85
My target is to have more safe and a bit better performance on my "stock" 951S; i have only Rogue A-Tune (1 bar boost).
I see that the engine is very better if i drive the car in a cold day then in warm day. I think it depends of air temperature, so if i can reduce it without more invasive mods (like bigger intercooler) i should have the same performance in warm days too.
I read that water injection system has no bad points...
Old 07-14-2014, 06:52 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You wouldn't need it on a stock 951. You won't get more then 280-300 rwhp out of the stock turbo.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:18 AM
Tom M'Guinn

Rennlist Member

Received 535 Likes on 287 Posts

Originally Posted by joker2cv
Hi Tom, here in Italy we havn't E85
My target is to have more safe and a bit better performance on my "stock" 951S; i have only Rogue A-Tune (1 bar boost).
I see that the engine is very better if i drive the car in a cold day then in warm day. I think it depends of air temperature, so if i can reduce it without more invasive mods (like bigger intercooler) i should have the same performance in warm days too.
I read that water injection system has no bad points...
I hear you about cold weather vs. hot weather. But I have to be honest and say I never noticed cold-weather performance from the water injection. I've never dyno's with and without so can't say for sure, but the only real improvement I could sense was from the ability to turn up the boost and add ignition advance without knocking. Not sure if you have a catalytic converter and/or need to keep it to remain legal, but typically that's the next best bang for your buck after chips...

Quick Reply: Water injection: any experience?