Starter stumbles and car then starts

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014 | 04:25 PM
fbgh2o
Odd Posts
Rennlist Member

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Starter stumbles and car then starts

I have a strange issue. When starting the car, the starter cranks and then seems to stumble (almost stalls some times) and then the car starts immediately afterward. Sometimes it is quite a pronounced stumble, other times almost nothing or nothing. I don't think it is the bendix binding, but I may be wrong.

This problem has been manifest since I replaced the reference sensor harness. I assume it is related, but I am not sure.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Old 07-11-2014 | 10:52 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may need the bracket for the sensor. This may not be your problem, but check this out. http://www.paragon-products.com/Refe...101.321.07.htm
Old 07-12-2014 | 01:14 AM
993_SC
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Fergus, I recall something similar occurring from time to time when I was taking care of Heidi. Seemed to happen when hot and at the track so I attributed it to the bendix, but the post above makes me wonder. IN fact, I experienced something similar in my current 951, again at the track and hot. I have not recently changed any sensors so not sure what to think. It really is very sporadic so I have not spent much time on it - I was thinking of having the starter bench tested since it is quite easy to remove.

Cheers,
Spyro
Old 07-12-2014 | 05:30 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

You might also check to see if that little damned nut is tight, on the bendix. I think it's 8mm. Don't over tighten it. Ask how I know! AHHH!
Old 08-16-2014 | 07:27 PM
quinnfiske
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The following is from the Paragon site. Has anyone heard of this? I have had problems with both the starter and speed/ref sensors. It it possible they are related some how? Perhaps the replacement bracket is some sort of non-conductive material?

If you have installed a new starter and began experiencing "kick back", your new starter maybe sending electrical impluses to the reference sensor. This in turn causes your engine to fire at the wrong timing. This updated bracket from Porsche will solve the problem.
Old 08-17-2014 | 01:30 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

If Jason Burkett posted that on his company's site, you can likely bet the house on it's veracity, with high confidence. He's one of the only owners of a factory 968 TRS and has been a 944/968 guy for YEARS! He wouldn't sell crap, just for the sake of a buck, if it meant that his reputation might be questioned. If you want to know the specifics, call him on Monday. If he can't take the call, he'll call you back.

Quick Reply: Starter stumbles and car then starts