Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Wossner - Steel Liner Clearance

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2015, 09:51 AM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

I spoke to Capricorn - who were quite helpful & confirmed that they still do retail work for individuals.

They recommended a Steel Liner with a Nikasil finish.

Apparently, they don't use iron liners, just steel & aluminium alloy - but recommended steel for racing/high-boost applications.

Tim
Old 03-23-2015, 10:41 AM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Penguinracer
I spoke to Capricorn - who were quite helpful & confirmed that they still do retail work for individuals.

They recommended a Steel Liner with a Nikasil finish.

Apparently, they don't use iron liners, just steel & aluminium alloy - but recommended steel for racing/high-boost applications.

Tim
Perhaps it's just me they're blanking then Are your coated Wossners and their rings compatible with a plated bore ? Was that wet or dry liners and did you get a price from Capricorn ?

Last edited by blade7; 03-23-2015 at 02:19 PM.
Old 03-23-2015, 02:25 PM
Penguinracer
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 43 Posts

My Wossners were spec'ed for Alusil - so are coated.

My understanding is that pistons do not need a coating for Nikasil.

They're going to email back a price - which may include fitting.

I'll post the price when I get it.

I found that they didn't rspond to email - but a phone call was ok.

Tim
Old 03-23-2015, 02:36 PM
blade7
Drifting

I'd check the ring spec, don't recall if Alusil and Nickel ceramic cylinders require different ring types. I thought I'd tried Poeton too , can they plate a 944 block in the UK ?
Old 08-04-2022, 05:44 AM
J.C.
Track Day

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cheburator

Lastly, just installed Woessner pistons - 100mm - in steel bores in my mildly tweaked 944T race car - used 0.08mm clearance as specified by Carl from Racer's Edge. Woessner specify the same in their technical literature/catalogues. There is another local 2.5 16v making 470rwph using Darton sleeves and Woessner pistons, using the same 0.08mm clearance. The latter car has more than 12,000 miles on the new set-up...

Hey @Cheburator

You mentioned that you run Wössner Pistons in Steel Liners in your 944T. I plan to do so as well, had my block sleeved and already have the Pistons.

The Coating looks like this:

Just that mine are 100,00mm for 2,5L.

I just wanted to know if you have the same greyish Coating on your Pistons and if they run fine in your sleeves so far
Old 08-08-2022, 10:46 AM
Cheburator
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by J.C.
Hey @Cheburator

You mentioned that you run Wössner Pistons in Steel Liners in your 944T. I plan to do so as well, had my block sleeved and already have the Pistons.

The Coating looks like this:

Just that mine are 100,00mm for 2,5L.

I just wanted to know if you have the same greyish Coating on your Pistons and if they run fine in your sleeves so far
Hey JC

The pistons had the same grey-ish coating indeed. So far we have done about 2000k miles of racing and we haven't had issues with them or the bores. (Touch wood!)

I hope this helps,

Alex

P.S. When I bought the pistons, Woessner insisted that the coating was good enough to run in alusil, but we preffered to play it safe and sleeved the block.
Old 08-08-2022, 11:16 AM
blade7
Drifting

Originally Posted by Cheburator
Hey JC

The pistons had the same grey-ish coating indeed. So far we have done about 2000k miles of racing and we haven't had issues with them or the bores. (Touch wood!)

I hope this helps,

Alex

P.S. When I bought the pistons, Woessner insisted that the coating was good enough to run in alusil, but we preffered to play it safe and sleeved the block.
Try going back to Wossner and see what they have to say about their Alusil piston coating, in Alusil cylinders now...?

Last edited by blade7; 08-08-2022 at 11:17 AM.

Quick Reply: Wossner - Steel Liner Clearance