Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Replace CV Joints or Rear Axle?

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:46 AM
mc05duck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace CV Joints or Rear Axle?

Pushed the 951 around a corner last weekend and got the car sideways out of 1st gear and then started hearing a clicking noise from the rear right side of the vehicle around corners right after that. I babied it home and the clicking subsided by the time I got there, but I know something needs to get fixed.

From what I've read, this is the CV Joints, but that replacing the entire rear axles may be cheaper and a chance to restore the rear to 100% if I'm not doing the labor myself.

My question is:

What kind of labor time will it take a professional to replace the rear axle?

And, if anyone can recommend either an OEM rear axle or aftermarket rear axle that might be better for the '86 951, I'm all ears...

Thanks!

Last edited by mc05duck; 06-22-2014 at 02:11 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 AM
mc05duck
Advanced

Anyone have anything good to say about Constant Velocity Axle Shafts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CV-Axle-Shaf...c76ff3&vxp=mtr

They are about $150 cheaper than the OEM part.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:12 AM
George D
Drifting

Use the Vanagon CV's. Well, I just ordered an 86 Vanagon Axle shaft for my right side. Paid 80.42$ shipping included. I wasn't able to find the Empi part in Canada, so I decided to go with the FEQ brand. I did read bad things on the web about the quality of the brand, but for 80$, why not. There is also a 12 month warranty on these, if it brakes in 6 months, i'll get a new one : ) I'm too lazy to do a rebuilt right now, and I'm so curious to see if it will actually work.

Even with the OEM ones, I broke 5 axles in 5 years, but with 3 different 944's. So if they always brake, why should I pay full price for oem. I paid a mechanic to rebuilt the one I'm changing last year, and it's already making a ton of knocking noise.

80$ compare to 355.96$, easy and quick to replace. If it last me one year, I'm happy. Heck at the price, I can get 4 FEQ axles shafts for the same price for one (GKN).

https://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDeta...33-1835581/FEQ

Use the proper cheese head, and you'll be fine. TQ to specs, book says 31 ft lbs. Use a torque wrench for final fitment.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:14 AM
George D
Drifting

This was a copy/paste towards remedy. I can't use these CV's, so know I shared what worked from another Rennlister.

Originally Posted by George D
Use the Vanagon CV's. Well, I just ordered an 86 Vanagon Axle shaft for my right side. Paid 80.42$ shipping included. I wasn't able to find the Empi part in Canada, so I decided to go with the FEQ brand. I did read bad things on the web about the quality of the brand, but for 80$, why not. There is also a 12 month warranty on these, if it brakes in 6 months, i'll get a new one : ) I'm too lazy to do a rebuilt right now, and I'm so curious to see if it will actually work.

Even with the OEM ones, I broke 5 axles in 5 years, but with 3 different 944's. So if they always brake, why should I pay full price for oem. I paid a mechanic to rebuilt the one I'm changing last year, and it's already making a ton of knocking noise.

80$ compare to 355.96$, easy and quick to replace. If it last me one year, I'm happy. Heck at the price, I can get 4 FEQ axles shafts for the same price for one (GKN).

https://www.autopartsway.ca/PartDeta...33-1835581/FEQ

Use the proper cheese head, and you'll be fine. TQ to specs, book says 31 ft lbs. Use a torque wrench for final fitment.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:25 AM
Pauerman
Addict
Rennlist Member

I just bought a set of the Vanagon shaft assemblies and I was intending on swapping the CV's to the 951 shafts. Apparently, if you have an '89 951 or S2, the CV shafts are a 25 spline and the Vanagon CV's are 33 spline.

I believe you can still just use the complete Vanagon CV shaft - they are just slightly longer than the 951 shafts, but they fit.

Quick Reply: Replace CV Joints or Rear Axle?