Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Time to paint your intercooler black!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2014, 01:34 AM
Dash01
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Dark colors both absorb more energy and emit more energy. On a sunny day the roof of a black car gets hotter than a white roof. On a cold day a black roof emits more energy, so can be colder than ambient temperature, so you may find frost on the roof of your dark car on a cold morning, while a white car next to it in the driveway may not have frost. Ditto for asphalt roads, where black ice can form at 38 degrees F, i.e., freeze even though normal freezing temperature is 32 degrees F. Could be, a black painted engine or intercooler will emit more heat energy than a white or silver one.

I'd like to see more data specific to intercoolers, though.

Last edited by Dash01; 06-22-2014 at 02:12 AM.
Old 06-22-2014, 03:02 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is to keep heat within the aluminum, steel, etc. The intention is towards temps from exhaust be slightly cooler from heat transfer to the exterior. Does it work, yes, but proper heat shielding is best. Porsche did this well with the stock setup. I utilize similar heat shielding wherever the high temps from combustion are present and my headers are ceramic coated. Make a difference, don't really know. The price point seems to benefit the manufacturer, as I see red on every header after a hot run, no matter the material used, coating, etc. This includes all motors, not just the 951. Heat pumps create heat, how it's dissipated is similar. Shielding with an air space between the shield and heat source is best. Ceramic coating is used on the space shuttle, my roof, and headers. Just saying.

G

Originally Posted by Jherriott
These guys did the ceramic coating on my exhaust. They also make a heatsink coating that I was wondering about... seems it has its merits, and better than spray paint.

http://www.fireballcoatings.com/inde...id=7&Itemid=14
Old 06-22-2014, 03:08 AM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Racing stripes will make much more HP than a black IC.
Old 06-22-2014, 04:00 AM
George D
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Racing stripes will make much more HP than a black IC.
What direction do you notice better HP of the racing stripe?
Old 06-22-2014, 02:12 PM
ehall
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by George D
What direction do you notice better HP of the racing stripe?
Seriously? Ugh. Well if you haven't earned a degree in advanced physics, then you will NEVER really understand the "Stripe Theory". If you did, you would know, that dark stripes must always be applied backwards and lighter stripes forward. To do that you need to know the formula for directional striping, and there just isn't space for that here.
Old 06-22-2014, 02:21 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ehall
Seriously? Ugh. Well if you haven't earned a degree in advanced physics, then you will NEVER really understand the "Stripe Theory". If you did, you would know, that dark stripes must always be applied backwards and lighter stripes forward. To do that you need to know the formula for directional striping, and there just isn't space for that here.
Actually, down here, you'll need to apply it backwards to see the full effect.

Quick Reply: Time to paint your intercooler black!!