AC pump rebuilding question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2014, 08:36 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC pump rebuilding question

Hi guys,
My ac compressor is leaking a lot from the central junction. The question is if i can fix it in a cheap way with a rebuild kit. Where can i buy it?
Any suggestion for alternatives?
Old 06-12-2014, 05:33 AM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Nippondenso compressor can be overhauled easily. I have done many of them. Just rebuilt friend's 968 compressor. I have bought parts from Arizona, www.centuryautoair.com
They ship worldwide, delivery time is about a week. I recommend you to use new style front axial seal. New design is far better than original one.
Compressor i rebuilt for a friend:
Old 06-12-2014, 09:56 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Thank you Olli,
which code has the stock compressor?
In that site i saw many different types of kits
Otherwise can you tell me the codes of the rebuild kit?
Old 06-12-2014, 12:09 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Our cars use Nippondenso 10Pxxx-series compressors. Type(xxx) can varies a bit concerning what model year car is. Also some compressors are made for R134 when older ones were made for R12.
You will need kit KT-10PN which includes large & small O-rings. Also shaft seal kit is required. I have used both SK-732N & SK-753G kits.
Old 06-12-2014, 01:16 PM
joker2cv
Instructor

Many thanks Olli
Old 06-12-2014, 02:59 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Not to hijack the thread, but I need to replace mine or rebuild it (1986 951) and mechanic's price is $1,050.00 to replace compressor and drier. Is it very difficult to take out (mechanic said drier is the tough one) or do I just remove batwing underneath to get to it. I will check clarks garage, but just wanted a quick summation at this point like "not to bad" to "changing the turbo is an easier job"! LOL I am all about saving myself $750 and buying one and putting it in if it isn't a nightmare job.
Old 06-12-2014, 03:33 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Mechanic is totally overpriced this. Changing drier is very easy task to do. Also remove/install back compressor is easy job. Just invest less than $100 to the parts and do it yourself. First timer can spend about a good working day to rebuild compressor and install it back with a new drier.
Old 06-12-2014, 04:34 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Olli,
Thank you for your input, since the refrigerant all leaked out, there shouldn't a problem just disconnecting it at the compressor and re-connecting the new/rebuilt one, so looks like I have something to do in the next couple weekend! I do think I will pay him the $500 to replace a rear wheel bearing, heard they were a pain! Thanks again.
Old 06-12-2014, 05:57 PM
BF951
Rennlist Member

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

I recently purchased parts from Century Auto Air and rebuilt my 944 Compressor. Just make sure you use plenty of oil on the shaft and O ring when installing the new shaft seal so you don't cut it pushing it past the circlip groove. Very doable job. Also, check the threads on the alloy nuts at the dryer. When you take out the original aluminum dryer some of the material may be left on the threads, makes for a bad seal when installing the new dryer. Good luck.
Old 06-12-2014, 07:29 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

OK, I will check into re-build parts, but would I be better off to purchase the new front axial seal version mentioned in post #2 for my 1986 951? I would rather spend more now and have something that works well and long if possible. My car has under 48,000 original miles and I understand all that time is tough on seals etc., but if there are inherent flaws in the earlier compressor, I would rather get a newer more reliable design. The car has been converted over to the new refrigerant. In fact my compressor lasted about two days past that upgrade! LOL Sometimes you feel like you can't win!
Old 06-13-2014, 02:23 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

I converted to an R-134a Sanden compressor. Based on what I read most people who used rebuilt compressors had problems with them leaking again.

I didn't buy a kit and went the more DIY route but people do sell kits. I didn't use any hose clamps.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...onversion.html

One of the better kits.
http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....846e8cef274ec9

The install process.
http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/ac.html
Old 06-13-2014, 11:30 AM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
Mechanic is totally overpriced this. Changing drier is very easy task to do. Also remove/install back compressor is easy job. Just invest less than $100 to the parts and do it yourself. First timer can spend about a good working day to rebuild compressor and install it back with a new drier.
Around here, thats a fair price. Youre looking at 3.5-4 hours of labor, the list price of the AC compressor is $950, and the drier is $180. The mechanic is sharing a decent amount of his discount with the guy. Considering operating costs of the shop, I dont see how thats overpriced. I never seem people complain about the ridiculous markup on clothes and shoes, but mechanics are always "greedy"

Nothing is cheaper than doing it yourself....
Old 06-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

and mechanic's price is $1,050.00 to replace compressor and drier
My native language is not English, it's Finnish. In that sentence i understood it was just labour. I change compressor & drier less than an hour, so $1K is good salary for one hour job. If that price does include also new compressor & drier then it's cheap. I don't understand how it can take 3.5 to 4 hours. After all compressor is attached to its bracket by one bolt. Two hoses to compressor have one bolt on each hose. Tensioner is attached to compressor by one bolt as well. Batwing can be removed in five minutes, so you time estimate must include lunch hour and two coffee breaks
I suppose i just have to learn more English to understand people better.
Old 06-13-2014, 04:49 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by Sixline
I converted to an R-134a Sanden compressor. Based on what I read most people who used rebuilt compressors had problems with them leaking again.

I didn't buy a kit and went the more DIY route but people do sell kits. I didn't use any hose clamps.
https://rennlist.com/forums/924-931-...onversion.html

One of the better kits.
http://www.griffiths.com/shop/index....846e8cef274ec9

Great reply, thank you for the links!

The install process.
http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/ac.html
Thank you for the great response with the links, I really appreciate it.

Originally Posted by lee101315
Around here, thats a fair price. Youre looking at 3.5-4 hours of labor, the list price of the AC compressor is $950, and the drier is $180. The mechanic is sharing a decent amount of his discount with the guy. Considering operating costs of the shop, I dont see how thats overpriced. I never seem people complain about the ridiculous markup on clothes and shoes, but mechanics are always "greedy"

Nothing is cheaper than doing it yourself....
Thanks for sticking up for the mechanic, I didn't have a feeling that this was unreasonable, just something that I could possibly do and save a good chunk of money. Your points are well taken and I still plan on having him do the rear wheel bearing.

Originally Posted by Olli Snellman
My native language is not English, it's Finnish. In that sentence i understood it was just labour. I change compressor & drier less than an hour, so $1K is good salary for one hour job. If that price does include also new compressor & drier then it's cheap. I don't understand how it can take 3.5 to 4 hours. After all compressor is attached to its bracket by one bolt. Two hoses to compressor have one bolt on each hose. Tensioner is attached to compressor by one bolt as well. Batwing can be removed in five minutes, so you time estimate must include lunch hour and two coffee breaks
I suppose i just have to learn more English to understand people better.
That price was complete with Compressor and Drier.

Last edited by TheAllusionist; 06-13-2014 at 06:56 PM.
Old 06-13-2014, 06:34 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've always wondered about installing a 1993-1995 968 AC condenser on the 951. The advantage would be having a condenser optimized for the R-134a gas which is inefficient in a R-12 system.

Quick Reply: AC pump rebuilding question