Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Best CHEAP Track pad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 06:57 PM
Velvet951
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Best CHEAP Track pad?

i'm going to the track next month and want a set of pads I can go through and not feel bad. My buddy uses Metal Master. What are people using that doesn't cost $100 an axel? Just doesn't seem worth it to spend that much if you just eat them up in a weekend. Oh, I will only be doing DE, so they don't have to be killer performance, just stop.
Old 08-06-2003, 05:30 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Metalmasters are a good deal in pads that fits right in between the stock pads and a dedicated track pad like Pagid, Ferodo or Hawks. I've been able to find them for $35/axle. I think that was from Paragon too... They also have some carbon pads for about $80/axle.
Old 08-06-2003, 12:27 PM
Skip Wolfe
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ha - cheap and track in the same sentence - that's funny.

If your just starting out on the track then the metalmasters should be fine, but once you gain experience they will quickly become inadequate. I've used the Hawk HP+ and Hawk Blue with success, but they are both around $100 an axle. But there is no way you are going to eat a set of Hawk pads in a weekend. I used the HP+ for about 2 years going double duty on both the street and track. Had about 7 -8 DE's and 8,000 miles of street driving and they still had about 25% pad left. I went to the Blues because I wanted the extra bite on the track and will switch them out with metalmasters for the street.

My advice is to get a decent track pad for the track and metalmasters for the street. It doesn't take that long to switch the pads - I can switch pads in about 45 minutes, and the tracks pads will last you quite awhile.

Quick Reply: Best CHEAP Track pad?