Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's how it works.
Old 04-18-2016, 05:06 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

PRELUDE - ACTUAL QUESTION BELOW:
Worked on car yesterday and wasn't able to fix the sun roof (I have replaced rocker switch and relay and took a look at the operating mechanism in back. I also took some of the interior out to see how hard it would be to replace the central micro switch between sun visors. Before that I tried adjusting sunroof arm that activates switch. I took the car in first thing this morning to my mechanic to have him replace the drivers side rear wheel bearing after having the other side done in the fall, plus bought all new tires, without fixing the rear "whoop whoop" sound. In any event until I get it back from the mechanic I can't try anything.

I did a lot of research last night and first I should easily be able to test the micro switch by taking roof out and seeing if the controls will raise the arms and then try pushing in the micro switch and seeing if it works. If it doesn't work that way I will replace the switch. Why I am saying this is that I figured out that it all works fine until I put the car in drive and move, then the switch automatically raises it and sometimes goes up and down. Clarks Garage has a table with issues and possible causes and it has the issue under a failed micro switch between sun visors. Hence, I am hoping this is the problem.

ACTUAL QUESTION:
My big question if I go and replace it is that I would like to just go back to the plug in the wiring to this switch which is about 12" from the switch in the wire harness to it. I did a little investigating when I had it all apart yesterday, but didn't want to chance tearing up my headliner where it would show. Can anyone tell me where the plugin is located under the headliner so that I can gently get to it if that is possible. I would prefer not to tear everything up looking for it and I would prefer not soldering if I can help it, but I will if I have to. Thanks again everyone for input and help every time I have a question, slowly getting all these little items taken care of before I do any major stuff.
Old 06-04-2016, 10:08 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Well the plot thickens it seems, I replaced the micro switch today with no change so I took the hatch carpet out to work on the sun roof motor and switches. Guess, what? My 1986 944 turbo has the old style sun roof assembly!

So I am wondering if if the new relay or rocker switch I put in is appropriate for this setup? Non of the operation is like the the tutorials I have read, since I have a three way ignition switch in my car in accessory the motor only raises, in the on position it goes up and down, in no position does in stop in the locked position, I just take it down all the way and raise it slightly to the locked position. But it still starts operating on it's own when you start moving forward or backwards do I just secure it and take out the relay.

To re-iterate, I switched the rocker switch, the micro switch and the relay in the fuse box, are any of these perhaps wrong for the oval dashed car with square dash sun roof (Pre February 1986 944 turbo?)

frustrating, spent lots of time on this and the car in general trying to take care of all the things on this car before doing any upgrades. My cam tower is leaking oil onto header so a bit a smoke when I pull into garage an shut her off! Man I can't wait to have it whipped into shape and just drive and enjoy it! LOL
Old 06-05-2016, 03:53 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

FIXED IT! (More or less) Adjusted center micro switch lever arm on sun roof until that was all working correctly (the micro switch wasn't the problem but it is replaced now anyway) and lift arms functioning in proper range. Then I went back to the hatch motor assembly, marked current micro switch locations in screw slot. I then moved it to each extreme in slot to see what happens. Full forward stopped sunroof from operating on it's own. So I worked it back trial and error from full front to were it was until I got closest to that spot (but slightly foreward) that the roof didn't operate itself when moving in reverse or forward. Each adjustment included a drive around the block to make sure, so it was a bit tedious, but seems to work without having a mind of it's own.

The More or Less part:
In ignition position in accessory position it will only open and stops on its own. In the on position it will go up and stop and down, but motor doesn't shut off (maybe slip clutch is what is going on), and to lock it in I have to go up until it engages levers but stop pushing switch before roof lifts.

The new relay I put on had slightly different numbers on it and perhaps the new rocker switch I put in is different than what was in it since it is funky pre February 1986 Turbo, so perhaps I will dig out the old switch and put it in and see. But I can at least use it now. What an ordeal, replacing micro switch, had to pull on head liner hard to get it to release and it tore just short of where it would be seen when valance was installed, boy was I cursing when I ripped it!

I had replaced the AC compressor with a used one and it was bad to, so that put me in a bad mood, probably just buy a Kuel unit so that I have new lines and compressor as the shop said not only was the compressor leaking but the lines were to. Not that I believe them, but I won't get into that, I have two basic choices it seems, a talented Porsche/European mechanic who would rather be doing something else so he isn't proactive or a shop that doesn't listen to you and searches for the wrong stuff, bills you, doesn't put all the parts back on, etc. in my town so I will drive either 90 miles to Tri-Cities or 160 to Seattle when I have anything important done, other wise it is the Russell Thomas DIY by Trial and Error Show!

Warming up to a 100 now so I figure a good time to crawl under the car and try and put on a test pipe! Yes, I am a moron.
Old 06-05-2016, 05:57 PM
PaulD_944S2
Burning Brakes

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Not a "moron," but soon to become an experienced DIY Porsche mechanic!
Old 06-05-2016, 07:30 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Oh I am a moron working on it in this heat! LOL

Quick Reply: Need Help with Sunroof troubleshooting