Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 07:30 AM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Black smoke... Diagnosis needed

OK you tech-heads, here's the problem:

1988 951, only mods are Europroducts chips, shimmed wastegate, Boost enhancer & 3" cat-back.

Car starts & drives fine part throttle, but full throttle I get clouds of black smoke & performance is not good, even though I'm showing 1.9 bar boost.

I'm getting 320 miles from a tank of gas.

Any ideas? I don't think it's injectors or pressure regulator, I'd be getting poor start & part throttle as well.

TIA
Old 08-05-2003, 07:53 AM
Sami951
Drifting

Yow! I'm getting similar sh¤#!, except maybe even a bit worse gas mileage. Still trying to figure it out, next step for me is to re-do the vacuum hoses...

1.9 bar (that's absolute pressure, so 0.9bar boost, right?) seems slightly low, what kind of pressures are those chips set up for..?
Old 08-05-2003, 08:02 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So your running very rich...do you have a vacuum gauge? If not get one and see what the car is holding when warm. You should be around
18hg on the vacuum. So check all the little hoses and connectors and don't forget the one under the throttle body.

You could also have a split on one of the intercooler hoses or throttle bocy hose or loose connection there. They would probably be worth at least a good cleaning, check the insides for oil, clean, and reinstall.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:18 PM
Olli Snellman
Race Car

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You are running Europroducts chips which are designed to run very rich ( i changed them to Guru chips because of that) Then you might have a vacuum leak.
Check out all vacuum hoses & change those chips to better ones.

Europroduct chips are designed for rather low boost levels. For example shims are only about 1,5mm thick. All other chips have shims which are between 3-5mm.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:06 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Strange... the Europroducts chip kit is designed to work at 13psi or about 1.9-bar onthe gauge. So he's got the proper reading. He may have a boost-leak somewhere that bleeding off air that should be going into the engine. Check the intercooler-pipe hose and clamps. Also the big rubber hose coming out o fthe turbo may have a split on the back side. Or the AFM may have been adjusted by someone in the past with the mistaken belief that more fuel automatically means more power....
Old 08-07-2003, 08:18 AM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

"Or the AFM may have been adjusted by someone in the past with the mistaken belief that more fuel automatically means more power.... "

Danno, this just started to happen - no adjustments. I'll check at the weekend for any air leaks, what you're saying makes sense, the air is measured by the AFM, but leaks out under boost...
Old 08-11-2003, 04:03 PM
Phil Harrison
Addict
Rennlist Member

Bump...

Pulled off the Intercooler pipes, main J pipe etc no leaks... replaced $20 worth of hose clamps...

Anyone have any other ideas?
Old 08-12-2003, 02:46 PM
bdellis
Rennlist Member

Check your wires. All the way to the power coil. I checked mine and corrosion galore. If you have it replace the bad coil or connector. and the wire to the distributor if needed. thats probably your problem, it was mine.
Old 08-12-2003, 03:44 PM
OriginalSterm
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

O2 sensor?
Old 08-17-2003, 07:14 PM
JLeake
Racer

I have the same problem...I'll spare you everything I checked but it turned out to be a FPR (well I'm assuming that as I recently observed fuel pressure readings above 60 psi...haven't physically swapped the FPR out yet). It was weird becuase I checked the fuel pressure gauge 2 or 3 times when I noticed the problem, and it was at around 36 psi. My symptoms were the same as yours. The FPR is not too expensive.

Quick Reply: Black smoke... Diagnosis needed