Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Proper LSD Transaxle Lubricant for Aging Transmission

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2014, 01:04 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks everyone for such great input. Kevin, big thanks for the advise about the front pinion bearing as the deceleration part had me confused on what it probably is. I am having a mechanic check things out the 9th of next month and give some pricing. Not certain what is involved if they have to replace internal bearings, if they have to remove the transmission is there other items I should have done as well like the clutch, torque tube........ ? Just don't want to pay for removing the transaxle multiple times if I save money having stuff done at once. Not that I have the money, might be cheaper to buy a used car lift for my garage and learn how to work on my favorite European import!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:26 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I can't recommend any vendor more than the service I received from Constantine on my TT. Everything about the process was excellent, especially the end result. A true 5 star product/Upgrade he is selling there at a reasonable price. If you have high mileage and are planning on keeping the car, I would recommend this for sure. If you are unaware doing this process yourself is a real PITA!
Old 05-28-2014, 01:50 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by URG8RB8
I can't recommend any vendor more than the service I received from Constantine on my TT. Everything about the process was excellent, especially the end result. A true 5 star product/Upgrade he is selling there at a reasonable price. If you have high mileage and are planning on keeping the car, I would recommend this for sure. If you are unaware doing this process yourself is a real PITA!
Well the car only has 47,000+ original miles, but it didn't come new with the LSD transmission so I have no idea how many miles on it. Could you elaborate on the upgrade you refer to with Constantine, I am unaware of it. Thank you for your time, I have heard that removing the trans-axle is a nightmare, hence why I asked about anything else that should be done if it is out! If the repair on the transmission is very expensive I might save up and get an AOR just so that I have the best I possibly can.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:00 PM
admiralkhole
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Removing the transaxle is actually pretty easy, it can be done in about 30 minutes. With two people, even faster.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:06 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

+1 on pulling the Transaxle, not that bad. Replacing the clutch is the PITA, but can also be done easier than some admit to if you have all the proper tools.

Super Bearing Thread:

https://rennlist.com/rennforums/show...534&styleid=21

You probably don't need at that low mileage, but a great upgrade if you plan on adding power.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:08 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Originally Posted by admiralkhole
Removing the transaxle is actually pretty easy, it can be done in about 30 minutes. With two people, even faster.
Thanks for the clarification, it is all a bit of the "cart before the horse" until I find out what the actual problem is, but I like to obtain information and know what my options are ahead of time and try to do what I can to save myself money and possibly my marriage! You know how it is, guy gets wants, spends money, wife gets mad! So I am trying to do all that I can and if I can save some money pulling the trans-axle and delivering it to a transmission shop, so be it! Just need a better way to get the ground hugging 944 up higher to work on it. My 1947 Chevy coupe is much easier to work on, lots of room everywhere! LOL
Old 05-28-2014, 02:19 PM
TheAllusionist
Racer

Also thanks for the bearing link, I see that the Constantine upgrade mentioned is the bearing system in the torque tube. Got it and have book marked it.
Old 05-28-2014, 03:45 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 52 Posts

Oops!!!! Yes, my bad 201!!! Thank you! I got mine from Paragon Products in Texas. A bit hungover from the Holiday weekend

http://www.paragon-products.com/Swep...swepco-201.htm
You did ????
Old 05-28-2014, 05:03 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Originally Posted by Crazy Eddie
You did ????
Well, that was too hard to post, but yes I ordered from Paragon and then Eddie gave one to me so honestly, I got it for free!

Thanks, Eddie!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:32 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Well, that was too hard to post, but yes I ordered from Paragon and then Eddie gave one to me so honestly, I got it for free!

Thanks, Eddie!
I am just busting them
Old 05-28-2014, 05:40 PM
URG8RB8
Drifting

Now if you could give me a rebuilt super bearing TT, I would have a project to complete next weekend!
Old 05-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Now if you could give me a rebuilt super bearing TT, I would have a project to complete next weekend!
Can't help ya there ....
Old 05-28-2014, 07:48 PM
theedge
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with you about the nasty smell of the Swepco! Of course, this has nothing to do with function, but yes it is quite nasty.

One issue with the Redline on my other vehicles is that I noticed small leaks. Has anybody had any leak issues using Redline, Mobile 1, or Royal Purple Synthetics in the transaxle? I also had to add a friction modifier to get the chatter to go away in my LSD on the Nissan. The Swepco did not require a friction modifier and is very quiet actually.
No leaks on my transaxles with Redline. Mine are quite leak free.
Old 05-28-2014, 09:14 PM
Crazy Eddie

Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by theedge
Ive always used Redline.

Swepco smells like dead goat intestines that have been in the sun for a while, then got squirted by a skunk which then died and started rotting as well.

Redline smells much nicer and I think shifts nicer.
Funny you should say that ... I couldn't agree more
I was telling Tom and Eric that very same thing.
Not about the goats, but that the stuff has such a strong sulfur? ****ty smell to it .....
Old 05-29-2014, 10:23 AM
goatfarmerdave
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stinkier than a sardines ****?

Quick Reply: Proper LSD Transaxle Lubricant for Aging Transmission