Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Electrical issues

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 04:38 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Electrical issues

For the past month or so my car has been killing the battery, battery is only a year or so old.Now last week i get in and find my gauge panel is out, then 2 minutes later its back on. then the sunroof wont open , then it does. I HATE ELECTRIC STUFF SO I AM CLUELESS.Could this be a grounds issue or brushes in alt sticking intermittently..................?
Old 05-25-2014, 06:45 PM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Check voltage output of the alternator, and then check what you get at the battery. You can pull fuses to see if a drain goes away. I hate electrical stuff, too! Are you using stock battery cables? They could be old, and causing excess resistance. I'd also check/clean all the grounds. There is a pic floating around with all the ground locations.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:33 PM
jc in rb
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Battery cables are original to the best of my knowledge. It did this (no start) at the shop once and Deiter said it was a bad battery, i told him it was a new battery so we jumped it and all was good for months. Alternator is showing 12.5-13 on the dash gauge.I do not have any test equipment sooooo?. I will check the battery cables as soon as my knee heals up. its just odd because the car works fine for weeks then acts up out of nowhere then goes right back to working fine....I need a bigger wallet.
Old 05-25-2014, 07:40 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by ModdedEverything951S
Check voltage output of the alternator, and then check what you get at the battery. You can pull fuses to see if a drain goes away. I hate electrical stuff, too! Are you using stock battery cables? They could be old, and causing excess resistance. I'd also check/clean all the grounds. There is a pic floating around with all the ground locations.
+1 on this. There is grounding point right where the + cable goes down to the starter. It's under the heater control valve and a beech to get at and clean. I've seen the insulation on a OE + battery cable so deteriorated that I was amazed the car still started. It just gets cooked after 25 years. Contact Robby and get the Iceshark cable set.
Old 05-26-2014, 03:10 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I usually read close to 14 on my dash, especially right after starting.
Old 05-26-2014, 07:32 AM
joker2cv
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I usually read close to 14 on my dash, especially right after starting.
The same for me. That is the condition where the alternator put out more energy to recharge the battery after sitting.

Quick Reply: Electrical issues