Snapped an Axle

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 01:20 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,148 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by BoostBuggy
Thx LuigiVampa. That is helpful info. Yep they are certainly cheap (comparativity.) Guess I'll just order a couple of them and put them in. It seems the worst case scenario is for about $50/halfshaft you're getting 2 brand new CV joints that could be removed and put on the stock Porsche axle. Although that would be a bit more work.
The point I was trying to make about the deleted posts is that he gave some really good backup to why these can be used including addressing the issue about the angle not being right. In the end he convinced me (a skeptic) that his reasoning and calculations were correct. If they blow up tomorrow (please don't!) I would still put them in again.

Its a shame that he deleted his info - there was a ton of good stuff abou the axles but he decided to take his ball and go home.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:10 PM
Lemming
Nordschleife Master

Received 86 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by LuigiVampa
The point I was trying to make about the deleted posts is that he gave some really good backup to why these can be used including addressing the issue about the angle not being right. In the end he convinced me (a skeptic) that his reasoning and calculations were correct. If they blow up tomorrow (please don't!) I would still put them in again.

Its a shame that he deleted his info - there was a ton of good stuff abou the axles but he decided to take his ball and go home.
I was the one that posted the angle deflection data. It's still in the original thread, but is also cut and pasted below.

----------------------------------
Measurements:

Full drop is -7 degrees
Car on the ground under it's own weight +5 degrees
Wheel deflection over this distance is 4"

I can't measure total distance that the wheel will move upward without removing the spring and I'm not doing that tonight. My guess is that at the very most, the upward deflection from static is less than two inches, which is approx 6 more degrees of deflection for a total of 13 from horizontal.

I'll throw the axle on the car for the next DE and give it hell for you guys.

-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa View Post
I appreciate the new information provided on how much the axles will deflect. But I am wondering how you can get an actual number of a car in motion on the track where things tend to move differently than if you just jack up one side of the car. What is the basis for these numbers?

----------------------------------------
As mentioned in my post, measurements were taken on my lift. The total upward deflection is my best guess, based on the fact that if the wheel moves up more than 2 inches from it's static position, the tire would rub the inside of the fender, which it does not while on track.

To get the greatest upward deflection, you will need to remove the spring and jack the wheel up till you hit the bump stop. This would be the max angle, whether measured on the lift or on the track. Max droop on the lift is the max, the wheel is hanging and it isn't going to go any lower on the track.

My race car is lowered, and hence the +5 degree angle on the axle when the car is just sitting. The more you lower your car, the greater the angle will be. However, I doubt that most daily drivers are lowered more than my race car. I'll measure the angle on my daily driver 968 and see where it's at in the static position.

--------------------------
Just checked the angle of the axle in my daily driver 968 (stock ride height). The angle is +1, which is 4 degrees less than my lowered race car. YMMV
Old 05-27-2014, 09:40 PM
LuigiVampa
WRONGLY ACCUSED!
Rennlist Member

Received 4,148 Likes on 1,849 Posts

Originally Posted by Lemming
I was the one that posted the angle deflection data. It's still in the original thread, but is also cut and pasted below.

----------------------------------
Measurements:

Full drop is -7 degrees
Car on the ground under it's own weight +5 degrees
Wheel deflection over this distance is 4"

I can't measure total distance that the wheel will move upward without removing the spring and I'm not doing that tonight. My guess is that at the very most, the upward deflection from static is less than two inches, which is approx 6 more degrees of deflection for a total of 13 from horizontal.

I'll throw the axle on the car for the next DE and give it hell for you guys.

-------------------------------------
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuigiVampa View Post
I appreciate the new information provided on how much the axles will deflect. But I am wondering how you can get an actual number of a car in motion on the track where things tend to move differently than if you just jack up one side of the car. What is the basis for these numbers?

----------------------------------------
As mentioned in my post, measurements were taken on my lift. The total upward deflection is my best guess, based on the fact that if the wheel moves up more than 2 inches from it's static position, the tire would rub the inside of the fender, which it does not while on track.

To get the greatest upward deflection, you will need to remove the spring and jack the wheel up till you hit the bump stop. This would be the max angle, whether measured on the lift or on the track. Max droop on the lift is the max, the wheel is hanging and it isn't going to go any lower on the track.

My race car is lowered, and hence the +5 degree angle on the axle when the car is just sitting. The more you lower your car, the greater the angle will be. However, I doubt that most daily drivers are lowered more than my race car. I'll measure the angle on my daily driver 968 and see where it's at in the static position.

--------------------------
Just checked the angle of the axle in my daily driver 968 (stock ride height). The angle is +1, which is 4 degrees less than my lowered race car. YMMV
I thought it was the OP of that thread. Many thanks again for convincing me to save money with these axles.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:33 PM
Dwane
Race Car

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Ryan..PM sent
Old 05-30-2014, 03:46 PM
running_cold924
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

well I bought his trans mount a while ago and still broke an axle or two with my car. Since last July I went with his chromolys and have the vw CVs. nothing broken yet and I have put about 5K miles since. only time will tell.

XSCHOP has some good products, I highly recommend.

Quick Reply: Snapped an Axle