Chip Install and Dyno Day tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2003, 04:26 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chip Install and Dyno Day tomorrow

Installing my "Steve R' chips tomorrow. Will do a base run then a post-chip install run and will post the dyno maps...Dyno has a wideband 02 so I should have some good AFM data...
Old 08-04-2003, 04:55 PM
2+2
Pro

Cool...what are you using to control boost?
Old 08-04-2003, 05:27 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

The Steve R set up uses the Autothority-like jetted banjo bolt. It is set up for about 16 pounds of boost...

I researched this quite a bit; it was either Steve R or Guru. The Steve R set up appealed to me a bit more as it was more "stock-appearing" and didn't require a MBC like LBE or Reliaboost. Moreover, I talked to some long-time 944 tuners and he was recommended. No disrespect whatsoever to Guru and those that use their products; I hear great things. However, for me and for what I wanted to accomplish, this seemed to be the best set-up...
Old 08-04-2003, 06:04 PM
gatorbait
Instructor

Default Re: Chip Install and Dyno Day tomorrow

Originally posted by alpenweissisnice
Installing my "Steve R' chips tomorrow. Will do a base run then a post-chip install run and will post the dyno maps...Dyno has a wideband 02 so I should have some good AFM data...
I've heard about Steve R. chips, but I've not heard any reports from users, so I'm looking forward to reading about your findings.

Just out of curiousity, does Steve R. have a website?
Old 08-04-2003, 06:36 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

No, just an email address:

wynnclaims@aol.com

We'll see what happens tomorrow...
Old 08-05-2003, 01:00 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Well, just got back and I am impressed...AFM looks really good, and I went from 177 rwhp to 202...Torque #s had a similar jump, though the tach pickup was bit flakey. The "butt dyno" on the way home was even more impressive, as the car seems smoother in the power band, and gets into the band more quickly. The dyno showed me going from 11.5 psi to 14.5 on the boost. Definitely a different car. I'll post a graph when I get to my scanner...
Old 08-05-2003, 01:07 PM
Billy W
Racer

Something sounds wrong with those numbers. I had heard that the Steve R chips are some of the best out there, and they dynoed almost 40HP less than my 86 turbo with Guru chips at 15psi. I also dynoed Auto Authority stage 2s at 13psi with 220hp.
What kind of Dyno was that? How many miles and what kind of shape is your car in? My base line run with stock chips and boost was 190hp.
Old 08-05-2003, 01:10 PM
rage2
Three Wheelin'

If I remember right, I went from 180whp to 225whp with the autothority chip. The 202 seems awful low... do you know what A/F ratios you were running?
Old 08-05-2003, 02:20 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

It was an Dyno Dynamics (I think) unit...I thought the numbers seemed a bit low, even the stock numbers. My car is stock save for a SFR catback; 51K miles. The chips did get a little soggy as the boost came on, but still well within range. Also, the tech told me they experience about a 20% driveline loss with this unit, and that actual hp at the crank is around 240. Also, boost hovered around 14, 14.5 was as high as it got. I thought that the Steve R. jetted bolt brought boost up to about 16. With more boost, I'm sure I could jump the hp numbers.

It may be the difference in dynos. According to the shop, this unit is "more accurate" than Dyno-Jet and/or Mustangs. From my perspective, the jump was significant and certainly made a difference in how the car performs, and it's not pinging/detonating, so I'm happy. I'll post the graphs when I can...
Old 08-05-2003, 02:59 PM
2+2
Pro

I dont think the absolute numbers are that telling since, as expressed here numerous times, dyno numbers vary alot depending on the dyno and conditions. However, I would have expected to see a slightly higher gap between the baseline and chipped. Your probably right that if you bump the boost to about 16, you should be at 217 or so which will be a differential increase of 40.....
Old 08-05-2003, 05:39 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

" I thought that the Steve R. jetted bolt brought boost up to about 16. With more boost, I'm sure I could jump the hp numbers. "

SteveR's chips are mapped for a specific boost and fuel-pressure. Make sure you set your car up exactly to the conditions he specifies for the chips you have. He can make them for lower/higher boost as well as fuel-pressure.
Old 08-05-2003, 07:56 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

Danno, thanks. I always appreciate your input, as anyone who frequents this board knows that you know what you are talking about.

I installed the kit exactly as provided by Steve. Matter of fact, I did tell him I prefer to err on the side of reliability vs. horsepower. This may well be the explanation, as he may have dialed my setup down just a hair. I sent him an email today along with the dynocharts for his cut at it.

Thanks for everyone's response...
Old 08-06-2003, 07:04 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

I received my response from Steve R; it is as below:

"I don't remember much in the way of specifics with your car, but you're about 25 HP down from a normal 944T dynojet run. 14 PSI is pretty weak as well.

I'd start with a check for leaking exhaust manifolds, which is very common. Almost all cars I've done have a cracked 2-3 manifold. Do you smell exhaust when you get on the car hard? Next check the BOV, these leak all the time and will certainly kill boost. Next check ALL the vacuum lines, which is a real pain but important. Also check that the intercoooler didn't get hit by a rock and is leaking. Just look at the intake side in the bumper and look for oil.

Usually I see 220-230 on a standard 944 t with no cat on a dynojet. "

So, there appears to be an issue of some sort. I have a Stratmosphere Hyperboost DV, so I don't think that is it. My intercooler isn't leaking, so I'll try to chase a vacuum leak. Smoke test on Monday; I'll report back. I do still have a catalytic convertor; perhaps it is clogged...but I don't think so.

Frankly, I'm still not certain it isn't a dyno issue, as the car- to me -pulls like a train...I have ridden in other 944 T's with similar mods, and mine seems like it is right up there...I'll know more Monday...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:44 PM
alpenweissisnice
Addict
Rennlist Member

UPDATE:

Did a smoke test on Monday...Car seems to have no vacuum leaks. I am beginning to believe that the difference is in the dynos.

There is a Mustang being installed in town and they expect to be up an running in a month. I will do a comparison pull at that time and see what the difference is...
Old 08-13-2003, 07:58 PM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by alpenweissisnice
UPDATE:

There is a Mustang being installed in town and they expect to be up an running in a month. I will do a comparison pull at that time and see what the difference is...
Remember that a Mustang reads about 13% lower than a DynoJet. So whatever you get there, add 13% to it and you will be pretty much DynoJet corrected. What were the A/F ratios like on the dyno?

Quick Reply: Chip Install and Dyno Day tomorrow