Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Repair shop dilema - oppinion please!

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2003, 05:42 PM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Repair shop dilema - oppinion please!

Ok here it goes.....

3 months ago I lost a belt and got some bent valves on my 944 t. I got the head to a shop and had the car put together except for the belts, I wanted a Porsche's shop to do this because I know how the tensioning has to be done perfect and you need that special tool.

So 2 weeks ago I have it towed to a shop that works on porsche's. I got it back last tuesday, I drove it back and it ran good it seemed they did the belt job good. They replaced all the belts and 4 pulleys and rollers. I got charged 600.00 labor (they also did other little work and parts).

All week its been driving pretty good till this morning, I go to start it and a loud knocking and rubbing noise is coming out of the belt cover !!!!!!!!! NOT AGAIN!! So the shop is closed till Monday, I dont dare turn it on again.

So since the shop worked on the belts 4 days ago they are liable right?
I checked the invoice and it says nothing about warranty. SO ARE THEY FULLY RESPONSIBLE? WHAT SHOULD I DO?

Thanks Im rookie and some experienced opinions will really help.
Old 08-03-2003, 12:18 PM
icat
Race Car

Kinda depends. You'll need to find out what failed first.

If you supplied the belt then my first impression is that you are out of luck. Always have the shop supply the parts if at all possible, that way the liability for a failure is on them and not you.

If the rollers froze, then the shop should have noticed they were going bad when they replaced the belts. However they are only liable for the work you had them do. In other words, if you told them to ONLY replace the belts and that is what they did, then your out of luck.

It's also possible that the first repair messed something up. There are just too many varibles to draw a conclusion at this point. I will say this though, since you had two different shops working on your engine, they will BOTH point the finger at the other one.
Old 08-03-2003, 03:43 PM
Magown
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the covers and take a look or wait till Monday, call the shop explain the symptoms and see what they recommend.
Old 08-04-2003, 06:12 PM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Ok its Monday...

I peeked inside the belt cover and the little roller (or tensioner the one with the red center) it looks like the bolt came off its in the bottom somewhere. The belt is still intact but its chewed up a bit.

Well I had all the belts and some rollers put on which i supplied (not the one that has the bolt loose though). The shop said that if it something they worked on then they will take care of it, if its something they did not work on then they wont cover it.

But I figure that if I take it for a belt replacement then then all the rollers and pulleys should be checked and replaced if necessary. Right?

What do you think?>
Old 08-06-2003, 05:41 AM
Danno
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like the shop screwed up and forgot to tighten that one bolt holding the pulley on. I would definitely have it towed back to that shop and yell and scream!
Old 08-06-2003, 11:00 AM
DAR951
Pro

Heard what I thought was great advice about comsumer complaints a couple of days ago... it was for something completely different (computers), but I think it applies to just about every dispute...

Your goal should be to make the other side believe you will never go away until you are satisified.

Just exactly how you go about convincing them of that depends on you and the situation, but the general principle applies no matter how you approach them. You can't let them think they can blow you off and you'll give up and quit.

Good luck.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:35 PM
Mike S
Three Wheelin'

Since you are local, can you tell us what shop you used? You definitely need to have it towed back to the last shop that worked on it and have them take care of it. I would definitely want to be there when they pull it apart.

There are two really reputable shops for 944's in san jose. One is CT automotive which I can't say enough good things about. The other is T&D performance. Either one should be your choice for future work if they aren't already.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:08 PM
Nine_five_one
Racer

Ok well I did have it towed on monday,

Turns out I forgot to tightened the timing belt idler. But since I did pay for a belt job the shop took full responsibility because they didn't check to see if it was tight.

So its 50/50 blame on me and the shop. The shop took 100% responsibility and by the next morning it was ready to go, I didint pay cent more.

The Shop is Reitmeirs Werskstatt they did a GREAT JOB!
They took full responsibility with no hassle even though it was partially my fault.

They had this 951 fully raced out, NICE
Old 08-06-2003, 08:34 PM
rhesus
Addict
Rennlist Member

glad to hear the happy ending

Quick Reply: Repair shop dilema - oppinion please!