Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Sticky Wastegate

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-2014, 12:29 AM
Sixline
Rennlist Member

Received 40 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by specsalot
Thanks Dougs951S - If I don't find anything major under the hood, my plan is to plug off the waste gate line, get the car back on the ground and go for a short careful drive. Before I lower the car, I'm going to exercise the waste gate with a vacuum pump (per Laust's suggestion above) to listen for the sound of good mechanical closure. I'll keep reporting back results as I have time to get answers.
Just to clarify, the wastegate operates off pressure not vacuum.
Old 05-18-2014, 06:10 PM
specsalot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sixline
Just to clarify, the wastegate operates off pressure not vacuum.
Sixline - thanks for the correction. I was thinking about one thing while typing another. I'm concerned about vacuum leaks and the integrity of my intake tract. I may have blown a coupling or perhaps got a rock in my intercooler.

Per the manual I have the waste gate should be opening when ~ 0.6 bars is applied. I'm going to borrow the Fluke 718 300G pressure calibrator from work to test / exercise components requiring pressure.
Old 11-10-2014, 01:58 PM
specsalot
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long time no post - sorry. In FL its no fun working in an un air conditioned garage in summer heat. Picking this issue back up. Hooked up a rig similar to what Bruce Arnn recommends at Arnnworx to pressure test the intake tract (intercooler inlet to intake manifold). I was able to locate a failed hose supplying the idle stabilizer (hose split - upper right corner)

Snagged replacement hoses from ianporsche on eBay

This should fix it. Of course - Last time I had the intake off, I noted these hoses were kind of hard, but they seemed stout. LOL - Cutting corners under the hood doesn't save money or reduce inconvenience. If you pull your intake - give the idle stabilizer hoses a look and replace them if in doubt.

Quick Reply: Sticky Wastegate