Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

gtx 3071 oil issues

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2014, 08:20 AM
t3rra
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default gtx 3071 oil issues

Running my bov to atom do due to reworking the intake to fit a larger cone filter mentioned I couldn't get it plumbed back up. I noticed it spitting oil, car has been missing like some one hitting brakes while accelerating before I can let off the throttle it's pulled though it. This seems to be worse at 1.4 bar then 1bar setting but it happens at diffent rpm each time sort off like over boost but I'm not.

I pull the pipe work and found ic to throttle pipe heavy with oil. Intake is dry and is pipe work from sakio muchi catch can. Turbo and turbo / ic pipe is dry as well.

I was running 6 nkg pulled them and they where white so replaced with 7 and there also gone white in the 1st drive.

When the oil return was leaking the car was running fine. No missing and not much oil in the intake

Iv had gtx 3071 was fitted, with 1mm restrictor at the top off the turbo. Oil drain is barb adapotur with 3" straight then a bend 70 degree then slicone joining on to a Y peace which is welded to the old return keeping the stock fitting at the sump. The Y branch goes up to the aos. This return line is 12mm.

So I'm wondering if this set up is cause oil build up in the turbo and the oil is from turbo blow by?

Sorry for the long post hope that makes sense
Old 04-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If it's turbo blow by it should be going through your exhaust.

How full is the catch can?
Do a compression test, maybe your rings could be bad.
Old 04-13-2014, 12:49 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Not checked catch amount as it's sealed saikou mucihi s13r unit. But there's no oil film in the pipe from inlet to catch can. Or inlet

Just to clear up route issues aso is plumb to top and return to intake below.

Iv got a siphon pump going to see if there anything in ic as I recently flushed it and taped it all up so I don't want to pull it just yet.

Will do compression test but engine was believed in great condition when head gastric and seals belts where do we 3000 miles ago.

Can the turbo seals go at the compressor side? Would 12mm drain cause issue's? Seems like as soon as the leaks stop the oil is worse.
Old 04-13-2014, 01:15 PM
blade7
Drifting

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Didn't you have oil use issues before fitting this turbo Terry.
Old 04-13-2014, 03:09 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Yes there was an issue with 26/8 set up. Would use ltr of oil every 300 miles on boost or not. Wasn't as heavy oil in the intake as there is now. Fitted an water air separator in line with the aso / intake next to the tps. Most off what I would collect was water. No smoke no signs off turbo failure. No signs off pressuring the crankcase. I believe the 26/8 had blown the rear seals slightly When the turbo was removed it seemed in great health with no sign off oil leaks or play or wheel damage. Oil use is much less with gtx but due to the leak from return line and lower balance shaft seal iv not been able to compere the two issues. I also had the dipstick moved and engine oil sender come on when dip stick reading full. I could drive it be off stop it would come on drive more and it go off. Think that's a wire brake somewhere. Iv replaced the sender and tested old. The old was working iv by passed the ecu wiring running a wire from the dash and out the windows to the sender and this was keeping the light off and with just under half the oil on dipstick the light came on filled up and the light went off

When the gtx was leaking lightly from the return drain I got followed and didn't have any unusual smoke light puff on change up and one flame. However sense the oil leak been fixed at the return my ic/ throttle seems to be heavier In oil. Iv only removed the intake as tps case blow off so iv had throttle body rebuilt and machined to 57.5 mm with matching butterfly

Can engine blow by force oil up turbo return and then out turbo In the intake? Oil is fresh looking not dark like blow by.
Old 04-13-2014, 06:42 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Can someone tell me what over boost cut feels like? As I'm not getting the missing at 1.3bar a changed the duty and boost on apexi 2 1 bar with a flat duty rate 27 and it over boosting to 1.3 bar to 6k In 3rd and 4th

But any settings close to 1.4 bar I'm getting the missing issue
Old 04-13-2014, 08:08 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

Depends on your tune.
M-Tune it feels like someone has pushed the brakes.

Your oil issue puzzles me. You have an oil restrictor, you shouldn't be blowing seals already.

The oil drain shouldn't matter. It's just a drain.

Are all your hoses routed properly?
Old 04-14-2014, 04:20 AM
t3rra
Instructor

Will up load some pics tonight. Engine is running 4/5 bar if dash is anything to go by. Wonder if it something in the ecu that's causing the miss feeling as it sort off like you described but I sent my log to the designer off the ecu and he thought it was a miss due to plugs was happening at 3.2 in 5th and car would boost to 1.5 at times in 4th with no cut. He up dates my map and it was worse the next time out, with catch can 7 nkg plugs and new map

My 7 nkg are white would suggest 8 range
But a jumping to plugs ranges when car was running ok b4 ?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:39 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

First question - are you quoting pressure in absolute or relative?
The stock gauge reads in absolute - so 1 bar is atmospheric pressure (no boost). Most other gauges read in relative pressure so 1bar would be 1 bar of boost above atmospheric.
If you are running 1.4 bar of relative boost (20 lbs of boost) then your engine better be in very good shape or you will start to pressurize the crankcase and blow oil through the AOS.
Old 04-14-2014, 01:42 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Yes 1.4 off boost not 0.4 this is read via apexi ebc and augtronic ecu.

3000 miles ago 120k my hg was replace along with belts and seals ht leads, fresh fuilds e.c.t So I could tune the car to stage 2. Head wasn't rebuilt as it was still in spec. Compression test was good as well a visual inspection off the boars

Also had a larger fuel pump 80lb injectors iv had the aos seals replaced as well.

Iv got a catch can in place so there no blow by going to the intake be turbo. Where else would I see the crank case pressurise? Iv got no issues off blowing the dip stick or anything like that.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:14 PM
t3rra
Instructor

The missing issue was boost protection. The sensitive level was changed went to old map ran fine.

Iv pulled my plugs and iv got white tip and black tread top. White means hot, black means rich 11.3 on boost but can the white tips mean lean?
Old 04-15-2014, 05:38 PM
t3rra
Instructor

The missing issue was boost protection. The sensitive level was changed went to old map ran fine.

Iv pulled my plugs and iv got white tip and black tread top. White means hot, black means rich 11.3 on boost but can the white tips mean lean?
Old 04-15-2014, 07:53 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

So your tune was the problem?
Old 04-15-2014, 11:12 PM
t3rra
Instructor

Not so much tune but my boost protection was mentioned to be set at 1.5 would spike past that so I was sent an updated map to run via the tuner over wife, however it cut at 1.4 bar which was my setting on ebc

Iv still got oil coming from Bov
The following users liked this post:
bucknell (01-11-2020)
Old 04-15-2014, 11:42 PM
Paulyy
Professional Hoon
Rennlist Member

I have this feeling you've got pressure in your sump. Unless your turbo is finished, but i doubt that.

disconnect the catch can from the intake. Put a sponge or some sort of filter on the catchcan so it can breathe.
Block the hole on the intake. Then see if it's doing it.

Quick Reply: gtx 3071 oil issues