Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Rust in fuel rail?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 11:04 PM
slowcorrado
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rust in fuel rail?

After receiving my grounding kit from Robby, I decided its time to finally pull off my manifold for the 1st time. I've owned this car for around 7 years and have about 1000 miles on it. It hasn't ever run totally right and I'm making a push to get it fully functional for the summer.

I decided to pull the manifold to make the negative cable easier to install, and to do the fuel/vacuum lines and have the injectors balanced and cleaned.

Pulled the rail off and found that when drained I got fuel with some rust particles in it. (poured out onto my white paper towel) So after pulling the injectors, I can see that the inside of the rail is coated with surface rust. Has anyone else seen this problem? Any suggestions for cleaning it up, or should I replace the rail? (if so, anyone have a clean one, please pm me) Should I worry that the FPR and or Damper could be damaged or full of garbage?

Regardless of what I do, I would like to purge the system with fuel BEFORE I put my balanced injectors back in. Suggestions on doing that?

Lots of questions, hopefully someone has seen and dealt with this before. :-) Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 11:39 PM
lee101315
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace the rail.
Drain the tank and pull the fuel screen to clean it.
Replace the filter.
Buy fuel, put a few gallons in the tank. Pull off the fuel pressure testing cap, hook up a hose to it, and bridge the fuel pump relay. Purge at least a gallon or so.

Old fuel is bad news, if the car is going to be in storage for more than 6 months, drain the tank.
Old 04-02-2014, 12:51 AM
slowcorrado
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lee101315
Drain the tank and pull the fuel screen to clean it.
Replace the filter.
I guess I should have mentioned that I did exactly this before ever looking into the rail. :-) Tank wasn't too bad, replaced the level sender, screen wasn't bad, replaced filter and pump check valve. Filled up with Shell's best nitrogen gas, then drove the car for at least 30 miles after this work before the rail was pulled.

I guess I'll look for a clean rail and will certainly do the purge you describe! Anyone have a clean rail? :-) Is it the same between NA and turbo? Looks like it is based on the parts catalog.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:13 PM
slowcorrado
Intermediate

Replacement fuel rail inbound, injectors at Witchhunter currently. Hopefully it'll run well next week and I can actually drive it to Hershey. :-) I want it to run 100% right STOCK before I start with the A-Tune and MBC, etc..

Quick Reply: Rust in fuel rail?