Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

944 Turbo Engine Mods info

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2014, 09:30 AM
llusk
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1986 944 Turbo Mods: Do I need wide band, Air fuel meter etc. to prevent damage (Leaning out)? What was done: 87 motor installed K27 Turbo w/ AutoAuthority MAF. (Taken off a car in his shop) LR Boost enhancer Cat delete LR Steam vent kit Venturi Delete kit Ideal currently jumps up and down. Not sure if the chip is right for the car. Do not trust the Mechanic that did the work.
Worried about it leaning out.

Suggestion greatly appreciated.

Last edited by llusk; 03-28-2014 at 01:39 PM.
Old 03-28-2014, 10:00 AM
fejjj
Rennlist Member

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

M-tune from Rogue tuning for the win!
Old 03-28-2014, 01:07 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Do you have access to a dyno? Do you have access to a different mechanic? Anytime you change or modify the chip you will be doing yourself a favor with the AFR. Of course I am assuming he changed your chip, did he?
Old 03-28-2014, 01:24 PM
llusk
Advanced

Originally Posted by rlm328
Do you have access to a dyno? Do you have access to a different mechanic? Anytime you change or modify the chip you will be doing yourself a favor with the AFR. Of course I am assuming he changed your chip, did he?
I am assuming he did change the chip. To be honest I have not checked. Said he did.

I do have access to a dyno, but they will not let you test unless you have wideband or something to monitor air fuel
Old 03-29-2014, 04:46 PM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

You need proper instrumentation (wide band O2) or a large basket to bring home the engine parts that fall on the floor.
Old 03-30-2014, 09:44 AM
Willard Bridgham 3
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Either tune and set afr on a dyno or get an afm.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:00 AM
llusk
Advanced

Originally Posted by Chris White
You need proper instrumentation (wide band O2) or a large basket to bring home the engine parts that fall on the floor.
Chris,
I was told that by a friend of mine also.
I was told if I put a wide band on my car that I will have to change other things?
When we built the 240 it was more or less plug in play. Is it different on the 944T?

Thanks
Old 03-30-2014, 12:46 PM
lejams
Pro

Yes you should have a wide band installed to monitor the air/fuel ratio, but that won't prevent damage to the engine. It only tells you what the A/F mixture is.

You are right to be concerned. Until you know you have the right mix, stay off the boost to avoid damaging your engine.

Autothority is known to be on the lean side with their chips. Given Autothority MAF, unknown K27 configuration, CAT delete, etc, you could well be too lean. If the chips were not made for this car with this setup, they are most likely wrong.

Like everyone has said, you should contact Rogue Tuning or Vitesse, and let them work with you on a Dyno to tune/burn chips.

Regardless you should have a wide-band. You could go ahead and install one with data logging, and then send some logs to your tuner and go from there.
Old 03-30-2014, 01:40 PM
llusk
Advanced

Originally Posted by lejams
Yes you should have a wide band installed to monitor the air/fuel ratio, but that won't prevent damage to the engine. It only tells you what the A/F mixture is. You are right to be concerned. Until you know you have the right mix, stay off the boost to avoid damaging your engine. Autothority is known to be on the lean side with their chips. Given Autothority MAF, unknown K27 configuration, CAT delete, etc, you could well be too lean. If the chips were not made for this car with this setup, they are most likely wrong. Like everyone has said, you should contact Rogue Tuning or Vitesse, and let them work with you on a Dyno to tune/burn chips. Regardless you should have a wide-band. You could go ahead and install one with data logging, and then send some logs to your tuner and go from there.
Thank you for the info.
Is there a brand of wideband you recommend?
Old 03-30-2014, 02:07 PM
lejams
Pro

I have an older WEGO without data logging. Loggers were in developement back then, so there wasn't much available. If I were purchasing one today, I would have to do what you are and search it. Definitely get one with logging.

I recall others talking good about Zeitronix. Wide-bands have been widely discussed here on the 951 forum. Do a search and you will find what you need.
Old 03-30-2014, 02:22 PM
llusk
Advanced

Originally Posted by lejams
I have an older WEGO without data logging. Loggers were in developement back then, so there wasn't much available. If I were purchasing one today, I would have to do what you are and search it. Definitely get one with logging. I recall others talking good about Zeitronix. Wide-bands have been widely discussed here on the 951 forum. Do a search and you will find what you need.
Thank you for the advice!

Greatly appreciated
Old 03-30-2014, 06:57 PM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I went with Zeit, just get the location correct for the new sensor.

For grins I added a Laust temp probe also.

Quick Reply: 944 Turbo Engine Mods info