Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Just Bought an 87 944 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2014, 02:36 AM
hagopmehtemetian
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Just Bought an 87 944 Turbo

So I finally got an 87 944 Turbo and it's been sitting for over 6 years. I didn't dare crank the engine because it's been sitting for so long so I bought it not knowing if it would run. Only paid $2500. Figured it was worth it. The body is straight and it is a solid car with only 68k miles on it. The biggest issue is that it's been sitting in the sun and dust for a long time and it did some damage. I've already figured out that the head gasket is no good (coolant came out when I drained the oil) so this is going to get fixed as well as flushing and replacing the fluids.

Any recommendations on what I should make sure to look at while this job is being done? I'm thinking about doing the timing belt even though it doesn't look dry or anything.

Also the engine compartment is filthy....

Any suggestions on how I could make it look good again?? I don't want to damage anything but I want to get the dirt and as much grease out of the engine compartment as I can. I would love to tear it apart and clean it all up but a tear down is just not in the cards right now.

Got a couple of pics attached...
Attached Images   
Old 03-26-2014, 06:34 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

Oil in cyl, chg oil give it a start.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:20 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

A List of things that probably should be done when you get a new to you 944:

1. Timing belt, balance belt, rollers and front seals,
2. Water pump, thermostat and oil cooler seals.
3. Inspect the collars on the crank and the balance shafts and if they are scored heavily, replace.
4. Inspect and fix any vacuum lines. This is especially important on the Turbo. Lindsey Racing has a nice kit including the venturi delete needed for the 86 year model only. You won't need that with the 87.
5. Clean all grounds.
6. While the intake is off the car, inspect inside the J-boot and AFM for oil. If there is oil, replace the AOS seals.
7. Replace the plugs with NGK-R V-Power copper plugs and I check the plug wires, cap and rotor and replace as necessary.
8. Replace the 3 fuel lines in the engine compartment.
9. Get the fuel injectors cleaned and flow tested by witchhunter.com or someone similar.

If the mileage / age of the timing and balance belts are not known, I wouldn't start it or turn it over until at least the timing belt has been replaced.

Do not jump start the car. Make sure the battery is charged while disconnected. The electrical systems and specifically the DME Computer can not handle the jump start.

Welcome to the madness and good luck.
Old 03-26-2014, 09:27 AM
raleighBahn
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Maybe you are lucky and the car is not modified - don't see any aftermarket air intakes, ignition wires, etc.

Get the battery out and treat the rust underneath. Make sure all of the water drain holes around the car get unclogged in case this car sits outside. Clean the engine - if you can't take it to get pressure washed or steamed, roll it into an unwanted patch of grass and clean it down with gunk or similar products. Replace the hoses - all of them. If you can't do all, start with fuel lines front to back. While you're at it, get the fuel filter and also the filter in the gas tank. You will have all kinds of bad rubber, seals, gaskets. Definitely I would do the timing belt, all of the various cam tower gaskets and rings while the belt is off, etc. You can do some electrical testing with ohm meter and etc before attempting to start the car (I wouldn't crank it either yet). Keep us posted! Maybe a good car underneath.

Edit: Get the battery out and check the tray *Before* washing exterior or engine. Rain, car washing, etc will all drain through tray and behind passenger side front wheel, provided it is not clogged. But if you have a rust hole, will go straight on top of car computer in passenger footwell.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:19 AM
Ski
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Don't pressure wash the engine bay unless you can protect all the electrical connections which are NOT watertight.

You can already see hoses cracking, no telling how the vac lines are. I would blow everything off with an air hose, pull and replace the plugs, spray some light lubricating oil in the cylinders - marine fogging oil for example. Change oil and filter cheap dino oil( the seals between the oil filter housing and engine are probably bad if you got water - could also have been sitting for 6 years with moisture) while charging the battery, turn the car over by hand.

I would pull the DME relay and reseat it a couple of times, I would also do this with other electrical connections but stay on the connector, not the wire part. TPS, F inj, speed and reference sensors at the back - just in case there is built up corrosion inside the connector. Give it a start, it might surprise you.
Old 03-26-2014, 10:44 AM
Josh B
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on the purchase! Hold onto your wallet
Old 03-26-2014, 12:04 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

Originally Posted by Ky944TurboNewbie
7. Replace the plugs with NGK-R V-Power copper plugs and I check the plug
No, no, no. Only use the Bosch WR7DC copper plugs. These engines don't really like anything else.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:06 PM
doabarrelroll
Pro

I honestly wouldn't even start it till you changed the timing belt first, oil change, and prime the oil pump.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
rlm328
Rennlist Member

Received 309 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by doabarrelroll
No, no, no. Only use the Bosch WR7DC copper plugs. These engines don't really like anything else.
I don't see why you say that I have had good luck with the Denso and the NGK spark plugs.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:23 PM
aglaes
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks pretty original. You might have gotten a good deal, but may be too early to tell. You can buy a 944T in very good condition for $10k, or one in rough condition for $2K that needs $8k worth of work. I went with one in very good condition with 60k miles when I bought my '87 a year and a half ago. If you can do the work yourself you can come out ahead, and if you enjoy doing it, it can be a fun project.

Even in great condition, I still had to replace the clutch master and slave cylinders, the fuel lines (mentioned above) and I went ahead and changed the timing belt / balance shaft belt and rollers.
Old 03-26-2014, 12:30 PM
Biscuits704
Rennlist Member

Received 55 Likes on 25 Posts

Congrats!

I just pulled the trigger on an unmolested, one-owner 1986 944T too. Can't wait to get it.

Originally Posted by aglaes
Looks pretty original. You might have gotten a good deal, but may be too early to tell. You can buy a 944T in very good condition for $10k, or one in rough condition for $2K that needs $8k worth of work. I went with one in very good condition with 60k miles when I bought my '87 a year and a half ago. If you can do the work yourself you can come out ahead, and if you enjoy doing it, it can be a fun project.
Same here, pretty much. Mine has 45k miles on it. Paying $8700. Mechanically it's perfect - had it inspected twice. Timing belt/tensioners/water pump/motor mounts done last year. I'm happy with what I have for the price paid.

It has a few cosmetic imperfections... namely three dents of varying proportions, some chips and scratches. I'll get the PDR guys on those, touch the chips up myself. Mildly rusty battery tray which I will also take back to bare metal and repaint.

Looks like project work for us all this summer.

Enjoy, OP!
Old 03-26-2014, 05:45 PM
Ronin-951
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

coolant came out when I drained the oil
it's been sitting for over 6 years
tear down is just not in the cards right now.
You're about to learn when you should fold, ... the hard way.
Old 03-26-2014, 06:28 PM
turboS_swede
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^+1

Pull the engine. Now. Or you'll end up just parting the car out after it eats itself. There was a reason it was parked and having water in the crank case is not good for the bottom end.

Tear it down, refresh the seals, gaskets, rod bearings, hoses and belts.

Check the clutch, clutch arm, pilot and throw-out bearings.

Refresh the turbo, fuel lines, hydraulic hoses, master cylinders and the slave cylinder.

Do all of this and you'll stand a chance of having a decently reliable 944 Turbo to drive.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:47 PM
hagopmehtemetian
AutoX

Thanks for the input guys... The car is unmodified. Driven by a lady that bought it in 87. When she passed 6 years ago the daughter drove it to her house and it's been parked there since.

I'm waiting to get back in town to further inspect. I'm optimistic but based on some of the comments I'm nervous about not being able to drive this one for a little bit. I guess I'll see what happens this weekend.

Thanks again, I'll update when I figure things out.

=)

Quick Reply: Just Bought an 87 944 Turbo