Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

What are these options?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2014, 03:08 PM
Made in Detroit
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are these options?

I looked up the option codes from the label under the hatch carpet but I'm not sure what some of them are:

Equipment code
sport type running gear 30
sound system 490
additional amplifier 494
antiblock system/Bosch 593

when I was looking up the codes it showed other radios like the Boston or Berlin Blaupunkt but just shows "sound system" for my code 490.
Old 03-16-2014, 03:56 PM
slap929
Pro

593- Anti-locking brakes
494- Amplifier for the radio
490- Might be the 10 speaker set up that the Turbo S comes with
30?- I think you might mean the M030 Club Sport option.

Hopefully that helps a little. Where are you looking this information up? When in doubt,
clarks-garage.com...
Old 03-16-2014, 11:05 PM
Made in Detroit
Advanced

Originally Posted by slap929
593- Anti-locking brakes
494- Amplifier for the radio
490- Might be the 10 speaker set up that the Turbo S comes with
30?- I think you might mean the M030 Club Sport option.

Hopefully that helps a little. Where are you looking this information up? When in doubt,
clarks-garage.com...
These codes (and the anti-lock typo) are from a Porsche PET pdf file I found.

I did see the codes on CG too but there wasn't any other info other than some general discussion on suspensions and handling.

So anyone know what the M030 Club Sport option consists of?
Old 03-16-2014, 11:07 PM
Made in Detroit
Advanced

I found some info on the M030 option

Option M030 – Club Sport Package

Option M030 (also cited simply as 030) was a “Club Sport Package” for the 1988 Turbo S and 1989 Turbo. M030 featured many components which differentiated the suspension from the earlier standard Turbo – a suspension and brake package worth noting. The option was first available on the limited production Turbo S of 1988, and continued throughout the rest of the Turbo S’s production run.

The package option, which was later available for order on the Porsche 968, included upgraded 30mm front and 25.5mm rear sway bars, upgraded front inner, outer, and drop link bushings, as well as improved front castor mounts. Similarly, a thicker front anti-roll bar and a 25.5mm rear torsion bar (another standard 968 option) helped to keep the Turbo S rigidly planted. The heart of the option, however, lay with its Koni shocks, which were height adjustable, and included an adjustment tool. Although the rough ride induced by the S’s race inspired suspension, which resulted in a rough, noisy ride, was often a point of criticism, even among magazine test drivers, it was undeniable that the performance orientation meant superior on-track performance. “Learn to dance to the Porsche’s stiff-legged tempo,” said Automobile, “and one is soon slicing around the circuit with a pleasurable intensity.”

Moreover, option M030 meant significant improvements for the car’s brakes. Porsche commented that the braking technologies of the 928 S4 units featured on the Turbo S were “derived directly from [their] immensely successful competition sports cars.” In order to achieve superior braking performance, “Porsche engineers specified top quality four-piston fixed caliper brakes on the front and rear axles of the… 944 Turbo.” Along with larger 32-mm rotors (as compared with 28-mm), the S’s 4-piston Brembo sourced calipers, with 36-mm and 44-mm pistons, complete with asbestos free brake pads, and vibration dampers, were coupled with an improved ABS system allowing for significantly improved stopping time. “The system regulates the rear wheels’ braking force jointly while the front wheels, having to transmit more braking force, are controlled individually,” which subsequently translated to better steering ability under braking.

In combination, the components of the M030 option ensured superior driving capabilities, and made for significantly noticeable handling gains over the standard Turbo, altogether warranting the Turbo S’s “Super” designation.[*]

Contrary to popular belief, option M030 did not include any limited slip differential (LSD) option. Rather, the LSD was option 220; however, the 1988 944 Turbo S and 1989 Turbo also include option 220 as standard, thereby ensuring that option M030 was packaged alongside option M220.
[*] Note: M030 information, including specification data (although not in any particular order), was sourced from, and confirmed by various articles from Excellence, Panorama Magazine, Road & Track, and documents from Dr.Ing.h.c.F.Porsche AG

Quick Reply: What are these options?