Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Intake Manifold Vacuum Hose Job

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2014, 06:48 PM
mc05duck
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Intake Manifold Vacuum Hose Job

I just got back from my local specialty Porsche shop. I had them review a hot start issue and my vacuum lines because I want to do a AFM Vitesse Chip, Electronic Booster, and Vacuum Hose job.

They quoted me 6 hours of labor to replace all the vacuum lines under the intake manifold and recommended a new injection control line (#1) on diagram. The only reason they want me to replace that line is because of the rubber hose on it that is visibly cracking. This part online retails for about $460 or more. OEM Porsche part price via the local Porsche shop is $700.

My question here is, is there just a replacement rubber hose I can get for the control line instead of replacing the whole metal part?

Also, I found this Vacuum Hose Silicon Kit, but the Mechanics thought it wouldn't be sufficient for all of the Porsche OEM Moulded Hoses under the Intake Manifold. Anyone replaced their Vacuum Hoses underneath the Intake Manifold and not had to use Porsche OEM Moulded Hoses?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/380147545625...S:1123&vxp=mtr

Many Thanks!!!
Attached Images  
Old 02-18-2014, 07:11 PM
bw993
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

I think what you want is the Venturi Delete kit from Lindsey Racing. It replaces the vacuum lines under the manifold.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:14 PM
mclarenno9
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At a shop this should be a 1.5 hour job, max. To remove the intake should take < 30 minutes even with an unexperienced mechanic. I have a bead-blasted part #1 I would sell you for $15...(but I doubt anything is wrong with yours). If you have an 86, I would dump the whole venturi thing (the diagram you posted; see an 87+ for the difference) and buy the updated hoses for under the intake. You might also want to just buy silicone vacuum hoses and do all of them at the same time for another $30. Lindsey Racing is a good place to start. See the intake manifold section. Kits are $105-$115 currently.

You will need intake manifold gaskets, the aforementioned hose kit(s), and possibly some fuel injector o-rings to do this job. A 3/10 on the 951 scale.
Old 02-18-2014, 07:59 PM
944Phil
Racer

+1 Lindsey racing Venturi delete and silicone hoses
Old 02-18-2014, 08:12 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Cut the rubber hoses off and replace them with the correct size hoses and clamps, see here: http://www.texasblake.com/porsche/tech/vacuum.html (This could also be used to DIY this job, it's not difficult, just time consuming and confusing the first time you do it)

Alternatively, if you're using an MBC/EBC instead of the stock cycling valve you can remove #1 entirely and replace it with this: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...OS-102-XL.html
Old 02-19-2014, 02:12 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bw993
I think what you want is the Venturi Delete kit from Lindsey Racing. It replaces the vacuum lines under the manifold.
That is all you would need. I installed there kit on my 951 and was fairly easy once I found the right diagram. The delete kit also simplifies much of the vacuum line system
Old 02-19-2014, 01:23 PM
mc05duck
Advanced

Originally Posted by Scott H
Alternatively, if you're using an MBC/EBC instead of the stock cycling valve you can remove #1 entirely and replace it with this: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...OS-102-XL.html
Just to be clear, if I use a Electronic Boost Controller with a Vitesse Chip, then I remove #1 entirely and can use the "Late" AOS Hose XL, even though my 951 is an '86 and considered an "Early"?

The whole #1 Control Line on the left gets replaced with the XL Hose on the right?
Attached Images   
Old 02-19-2014, 03:36 PM
Scott H
Three Wheelin'

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mc05duck
Just to be clear, if I use a Electronic Boost Controller with a Vitesse Chip, then I remove #1 entirely and can use the "Late" AOS Hose XL, even though my 951 is an '86 and considered an "Early"?

The whole #1 Control Line on the left gets replaced with the XL Hose on the right?
Correct, as long as whoever routed the lines for your EBC didn't utilize part #1 (usually it's done with a direct line to the ebc, bypassing #1 entirely). The two smaller diameter lines coming off #1 are for the cycling valve, one feed and one vent. If you're already using an EBC then these lines are probably already blocked off and unused. You'll also need to do the Venturi Delete kit that others suggested. All in all you should be ordering the following:

http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...VDK-VHK-S.html
http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...OS-102-XL.html
and I don't think the '86 has one of these which is what distinguishes early from late: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Pors...07-324-00.html

And this should help with the vacuum routing: http://www.lindseyracing.com/LR/Parts/VACDIA.html

The venturi delete kit gets rid of a lot of the mess under the intake, notably items #2 and #9 in your diagram in the first post. What you'll be doing is updating your vacuum system to the later model, then deleting #1 and the associated lines and replacing it with the long silicone line for the AOS vent.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:59 PM
philip77o
Instructor

I just did the venturi delete on my 86 951 and I completely removed that hard pipe assembly and ran hoses directly to the cycling valve... Someone correct me if I did wrong.

Old 02-20-2014, 05:38 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With cycling valve

Without

I recommend a mbc and updating the system, this job takes about an hour or 2. lindsey sells kits, i also have bought the kit you looked at from ebay. both work great.
Old 02-20-2014, 05:45 PM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Originally Posted by mc05duck
They quoted me 6 hours of labor to replace all the vacuum lines under the intake manifold and recommended a new injection control line (#1) on diagram. The only reason they want me to replace that line is because of the rubber hose on it that is visibly cracking. This part online retails for about $460 or more. OEM Porsche part price via the local Porsche shop is $700.
Am I the only one that is shocked by the price the shop is quoting?
Old 02-20-2014, 06:06 PM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not really shocked that a shop would try to bend you over while working on your classic Porsche, lol. It is outrageous though.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:58 AM
mc05duck
Advanced

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Ky944TurboNewbie
Am I the only one that is shocked by the price the shop is quoting?
How many hours should doing the venturi delete, vacuum hose replacement, control line hose replacement, electronic boost controller, vitesse chip, etc. take them? Maybe I'll print out this forum post and show it to the shop owner and ask why I shouldn't get another shop to quote me the work...?
Old 02-22-2014, 02:09 AM
plumbum
Burning Brakes

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I did my deleat in 2h-3h including changing other vacuum lines and that was taking my time
Old 02-22-2014, 11:02 AM
mtnman82
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I just re-did the vacuum lines, and got rid of the metal squid, while I was in there. Once you figure out how your going to route everything, definitely only a 2~3 hour job taking your time. I have no idea why anyone would recommend replacing the squid (#1) - it's metal tubing, the only thing that's NOT going to wear out.

Quick Reply: Intake Manifold Vacuum Hose Job