Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

valve stem seal queston

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 04:15 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default valve stem seal queston

Still tracking down an oil smoking issue since i put a recently rebuilt head on my car (1 day at the track since installing) pulled the head off to inspect. intake valves are black and sooty. intake ports have evidence of oil (although the intake itself is clean (i.e. oil not from the turbo).

I'm guessing valve guides, or seals, both which were replaced. I pulled the head and took off a couple of the intake valves and there is no wiggle to them. the seals are securely fastened to the guide. What I dont know is how tight should the valve seal be around the valve? mine are pretty loose. the valve seal will not hold the valve by itself. the wight of the valve will cause the valve to slide through the seal.

I have never rebuilt a head before, so I dont know how tight the seals should be. is it possible that the seals are not tight enough and under vacuum, im sucking oil through?

I have a good head from lart coming in today, so ill probably put that on, but I would like to root cause this problem.
Old 02-01-2014, 08:48 PM
gpr8er
Rennlist Member

Did you have a machine shop rework the head? The valves should be heald by the stem seals when fresh. FWIW when my head was done I used O.E. Porsche seals instead of the Victor Renz in the head gasket set. I have those seals sitting here and if you want them I will mail them to you NC. You're in Nor CA?
Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM
dizzyj
Rennlist Member

Thanks man, I actually installed a whole new head today. hopefully that fixes my problem. I did have my head reworked by a machine shop, then a friend of mine re-assembled using victor renz seals from a rebuild kit.

should the seal provide an amount of resistance for the valve? mine certainly are not.

Quick Reply: valve stem seal queston