Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Blower only working when set to setting 4

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 02:12 AM
mahoney944
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Blower only working when set to setting 4

I did some research after a long time of my blower only working on setting number 4 where 1-3 seemed to do nothing. I found that setting 4 is actually bypassed from the resistor all together, unlike settings 1-3. All this time I figured the switch was probably the problem but after looking into it more I found that the blower fan resistor was the issue. It’s located on top of the blower motor (driver side) in the engine bay under the plastic cover, and it’s a white bar looking part roughly 5 inch long. Shockingly an expensive part to buy new ($200+), however after letting mine soak in some ammonia for about ten minutes and using a tooth brush and some 220 sand paper I was able to touch up the contacts and reuse my resistor and now every setting works as it should. I thought I might make this post to help anyone who had this same issue, takes about 1 hour total to remove, clean and reinstall. I recommend allowing the resistor to completely dry before installing. Hope this helps.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:18 AM
Van
Rennlist Member

Received 89 Likes on 59 Posts

Good to know - that is a somewhat common problem. And the resistors are not cheap!
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
slivel
Racer

Received 122 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Van
Good to know - that is a somewhat common problem. And the resistors are not cheap!
I had one fail a few years ago with the same symptoms - fan only worked on position 4. I my case one of the resistors failed to an open circuit. There are three resistors on the controller and I found out what the values are. I got a replacement at Radio Shack, soldered it in and was good to go for just a few dollars. the resistors are high wattage and low resistance as I remember. 10 or 20 watt if memory serves.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:25 PM
Slow Project 951
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I obtained a used one from 944Online. I am willing to bet Lart has a couple too. Don't think I spent a lot, Maybe 20 or 30 bucks.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM
Jfrahm
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 97 Posts

I have cleaned the little thermal contactors in the fan resistor unit with a little acid, worked great. Pry 'em open with a toothpick and get a drop of acid in there, wait a while, then flush clean and dry.

Quick Reply: Blower only working when set to setting 4