Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Steering shaft R&R

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2003, 02:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Steering shaft R&R

Ordered new steering shaft with both couplings. Has anyone got any short cuts for this procedure? I've been experiencing severe vibration at higher speeds and upon inspection found lots of slop in the joints. From the little view of the shaft I can see, it looks like a major pain in the butt to remove the old shaft. Anyone done this?
Old 07-22-2003, 06:04 PM
Travis - sflraver
Site Sponsor
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

The U joints on the shaft rarely go bad. I find that a good used set will last indefinitely. As far as changing them out its not as big of deal as one might think. You just take the bottom one off of the rack spline then off of the steering rod itslef. Its just a matter of some WD 40 and a well placed fork.
Old 07-22-2003, 06:04 PM
951Porschiste
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hate to be a downer but my mechanic says it is a major pain in the butt. He says you almost got to remove the turbo to have proper access. I'm gonna have to get mine replaced also.

Sorry!
Old 07-23-2003, 02:31 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I hope Travis is right. I have the parts coming Thursday and I plan on squeezing the work in this weekend. As is usual with Porsches, the parts are rediculously expensive, so I made sure this is definitely the problem. By the way, for anyone contemplating doing this repair, Paragon Products had the best pricing on the shaft with 2 joints. I have no clue where you would find just the joints alone. May be a special item do to the way it attaches to the rack and pinion shaft.

Quick Reply: Steering shaft R&R