Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum-72/)
-   -   Classic car insurance (https://rennlist.com/forums/944-turbo-and-turbo-s-forum/792093-classic-car-insurance.html)

catamount 12-23-2013 11:08 AM

Classic car insurance

My car is not a daily driver nor do I track it. I drive less than 5000 miles a year with it now. So, I'd like to rein in the insurance costs by moving to a classic car insurance policy. I'd like to find out everyone's experience with it.

Do you have classic car insurance? Who, besides Hagerty do you use and what's been your experience?

TIA!

86 951 Driver 12-23-2013 12:09 PM

I used Safeco and they put an agreed value on the car. The restrictions are minor.

After my fire there were no questions asked about he value. They cut me a check within a week.

Dino V 12-23-2013 01:14 PM

Even companies like State Farm offer great classic car coverage.

C ANDERSON 12-24-2013 12:42 AM

Most all collector policies ie: Hagerty , JC Taylor, Grundy are alll insured by either Onebeacon or Philadelphia insurance company . Others as in State Farm , Nationwide do there own coverage. Allstate sells through the agent but in my State goes thru Hagerty same for Farm Bureau.
Just look at the limitations that you can live with .
As with most classic coverage you will have to show proof of insurance on a daily driver.
By the way I am an Independent appraiser for Hagerty, Grundy , JC Taylor

Stephencs601 12-24-2013 05:53 AM

American car collectors two porsches for 900 per year

black944 turbo 12-24-2013 09:08 AM

This is coming from someone in the industry. Make sure that the larger companies "agreed price" is not just a cap. Here in Nc for example it is a cap and insurance still only pays going rate. This is where true classic companies come in. I have had hagerty for years and they are great.

catamount 12-26-2013 10:32 PM

Seems the lack of a garage will be my undoing. A carport means nothing, especially a street facing one. My main auto policy is with Liberty Mutual, so it's back to them and their superb customer service. For less than $600 a year I get full coverage, no mileage or storage limitations and great people to deal with.

Ben951S 01-08-2014 07:22 PM

Had the same problem. Got a garage. Problem solved. Leland West, agreed value, good to go.

Originally Posted by catamount (Post 11004760)
Seems the lack of a garage will be my undoing. A carport means nothing, especially a street facing one. My main auto policy is with Liberty Mutual, so it's back to them and their superb customer service. For less than $600 a year I get full coverage, no mileage or storage limitations and great people to deal with.

Ky944TurboNewbie 01-09-2014 10:37 AM

I had American Collectors with agreed value. They were great through a couple of small claims (one hit and run, and one cracked windshield). I needed to commit my garage to a different car and wanted to allow my 16 year old to drive the Porsche periodically so I went with traditional insurance.

Met Life had a low cost collectors policy that would not have had a garage requirement, but it was a stated value policy and not agreed value. I guess a stated value policy is sufficient if you have an appraisal of the value to give you ammunition should you ever need it. I would prefer the agreed value if possible though.

catamount 01-09-2014 10:45 AM

I went back to Liberty Mutual and got the full comprehensive coverage for not much more than classic car insurance. The biggest benefits are I don't have mileage or storage restrictions. They also told me that if I have current appraisals on the car that will help in the event of a claim since it's not an agreed upon value policy like classic car insurance.

Here in NC once the car is 35 years old it can be switched to a Liberty Mutual Antique Car policy which is similar to a classic car policy.

mel_t_vin 01-15-2014 05:40 AM

Originally Posted by catamount (Post 11037777)
I went back to Liberty Mutual and got the full comprehensive coverage for not much more than classic car insurance.

What does "full comprehensive coverage" mean? A $0 deductible for a Comprehensive [non-Collision] claim?

What are your BI, UM, and PD limits?

Chris White 01-15-2014 07:57 AM

Haggerty is great to deal with. I had my 91 S2 cab insured with them and it was totaled (lent it to my father when he was visiting). Haggerty paid the agreed value with no questions. They also have a nice classic car newsletter. When I insured my cab with them it did not fit into the typical classic car policy - but they also have an 'exotic car' policy that has less restrictions.

BTW - the agreed on value was 50% more than what I purchased it for.