Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Classic car insurance

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2013, 11:08 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Classic car insurance

My car is not a daily driver nor do I track it. I drive less than 5000 miles a year with it now. So, I'd like to rein in the insurance costs by moving to a classic car insurance policy. I'd like to find out everyone's experience with it.

Do you have classic car insurance? Who, besides Hagerty do you use and what's been your experience?

TIA!
Old 12-23-2013, 12:09 PM
86 951 Driver
Race Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I used Safeco and they put an agreed value on the car. The restrictions are minor.

After my fire there were no questions asked about he value. They cut me a check within a week.
Old 12-23-2013, 01:14 PM
Dino V
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Even companies like State Farm offer great classic car coverage.
Old 12-24-2013, 12:42 AM
C ANDERSON
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Most all collector policies ie: Hagerty , JC Taylor, Grundy are alll insured by either Onebeacon or Philadelphia insurance company . Others as in State Farm , Nationwide do there own coverage. Allstate sells through the agent but in my State goes thru Hagerty same for Farm Bureau.
Just look at the limitations that you can live with .
As with most classic coverage you will have to show proof of insurance on a daily driver.
By the way I am an Independent appraiser for Hagerty, Grundy , JC Taylor
Old 12-24-2013, 05:53 AM
Stephencs601
Rennlist Member

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts

American car collectors two porsches for 900 per year
Old 12-24-2013, 09:08 AM
black944 turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

This is coming from someone in the industry. Make sure that the larger companies "agreed price" is not just a cap. Here in Nc for example it is a cap and insurance still only pays going rate. This is where true classic companies come in. I have had hagerty for years and they are great.
Old 12-26-2013, 10:32 PM
catamount
Burning Brakes

Seems the lack of a garage will be my undoing. A carport means nothing, especially a street facing one. My main auto policy is with Liberty Mutual, so it's back to them and their superb customer service. For less than $600 a year I get full coverage, no mileage or storage limitations and great people to deal with.
Old 01-08-2014, 07:22 PM
Ben951S
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had the same problem. Got a garage. Problem solved. Leland West, agreed value, good to go.

Originally Posted by catamount
Seems the lack of a garage will be my undoing. A carport means nothing, especially a street facing one. My main auto policy is with Liberty Mutual, so it's back to them and their superb customer service. For less than $600 a year I get full coverage, no mileage or storage limitations and great people to deal with.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:37 AM
Ky944TurboNewbie
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had American Collectors with agreed value. They were great through a couple of small claims (one hit and run, and one cracked windshield). I needed to commit my garage to a different car and wanted to allow my 16 year old to drive the Porsche periodically so I went with traditional insurance.

Met Life had a low cost collectors policy that would not have had a garage requirement, but it was a stated value policy and not agreed value. I guess a stated value policy is sufficient if you have an appraisal of the value to give you ammunition should you ever need it. I would prefer the agreed value if possible though.
Old 01-09-2014, 10:45 AM
catamount
Burning Brakes

I went back to Liberty Mutual and got the full comprehensive coverage for not much more than classic car insurance. The biggest benefits are I don't have mileage or storage restrictions. They also told me that if I have current appraisals on the car that will help in the event of a claim since it's not an agreed upon value policy like classic car insurance.

Here in NC once the car is 35 years old it can be switched to a Liberty Mutual Antique Car policy which is similar to a classic car policy.
Old 01-15-2014, 05:40 AM
mel_t_vin
Rennlist Member

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by catamount
I went back to Liberty Mutual and got the full comprehensive coverage for not much more than classic car insurance.
What does "full comprehensive coverage" mean? A $0 deductible for a Comprehensive [non-Collision] claim?

What are your BI, UM, and PD limits?
Old 01-15-2014, 07:57 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Haggerty is great to deal with. I had my 91 S2 cab insured with them and it was totaled (lent it to my father when he was visiting). Haggerty paid the agreed value with no questions. They also have a nice classic car newsletter. When I insured my cab with them it did not fit into the typical classic car policy - but they also have an 'exotic car' policy that has less restrictions.

BTW - the agreed on value was 50% more than what I purchased it for.

Quick Reply: Classic car insurance