Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

High beam intermittently on in low beam position?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2013, 11:19 AM
Turbo17
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High beam intermittently on in low beam position?

My '86 Daily Driver 951 has had various problems with the headlights/turn signals.

First it lost normal low beam lights - I only had high. I opened it up, cleaned the contacts and put it back together, and it's run fine for the next 4 years.

Next, I lost turn signals. The return button was worn. I was able to shift the position of the cam on the steering wheel enough to ensure that the it always actuated the return on the switch assembly.

However, now my headlights are going into high beam mode when the switch is in low beam position. Wiggling the stalk slightly, either forward or back or to the right turn will usually switch back to the low beams, but soon thereafter, or any time I make a signaled turn, it goes back to high beam. The guy ahead gets annoyed as he thinks I'm repeatedly flashing him to pass The regular high beam positions (both directions) work fine.

Has anyone seen this before? I'm about to pull the stalk switch assembly out again, but if anyone has any guidance before I do, I'd appreciate their comments.

Thanks!

Quick Reply: High beam intermittently on in low beam position?