Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

MSD coil

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 03:42 PM
blitz951
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default MSD coil

I am thinking of getting the MSD blaster 2 coil can anyone tell me if this is a good choice or should I just go with the stock? I dont think there is anything wrong with mine but I just want to change it since I think it is the only thing I haven't changed. By the way, what are symptoms of a coil going bad?
Old 07-20-2003, 04:43 PM
Danno
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Coils going bad would tend to be internal shorts leading to low-voltage. This would show up as high-RPM mis-fires and stumbles. If you find that narrowing down the spark-plug gap helps alleviate the mis-fires & stumbles, then the coil is a likely culprit. With the stock coil, you can just increase the plug-gap to get more energy to jump across. Increase the gap until you experience high-RPM misfires & stumbles, then back it down a little.

Even better than a hot coil is a CDI ignition box. We've got one in the works and it can provide immediate ignition power on cold-starts even with a big voltage-drop on the battery. This was one of the key components in getting the 959 emissions-certified.
Old 07-20-2003, 05:13 PM
Edman951
Pro

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I wonder if we can use Crane ignition boxes like this one.

http://www.cranecams.com/ignition/hi6.htm

With this i could have my revlimiter set were i want it.
And its probably safe to hit this one insted of the factory one.

Any idea's.

Danno, What will your CDI box offer?

Quick Reply: MSD coil