Notices
944 Turbo and Turbo-S Forum 1982-1991
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Clore Automotive

Putting the starter on wrong=dead battery?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2003, 02:05 PM
Turk
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Putting the starter on wrong=dead battery?

Ok more novice questions!

I put my starter on the other day, and my battery will no longer hold a charge. Is it possible I put it in wrong, and somehow this is killing off the battery? The Alt Strut is tight, and the belt is tight and spinning when running.

Any clues?

Thanks,

Vincent

Old 07-18-2003, 03:26 PM
IceShark
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you shorted out the main positive down to the starter you could hurt the battery but that would be some major fireworks when it happened and you would have certainly noticed it. And the starter cable would have big holes where the insulation was burned off.

Did you remember to connect the alternator to starter cable to the same large stud the battery to starter cable is attached to on the starter solenoid? If you forgot then the battery wouldn't be receiving charging current and would drain dead.

Other than that you probably just had the battery go dead on you as a coincidence. Try recharging up the battery and see if that will fix the problem.
Old 07-18-2003, 03:46 PM
Turk
Instructor

Im going to guess I didnt put it on right. I didnt take the sucker off, so I have no idea what went with what. It started up so I ASSUMED it was fine. Any idea where I could get a picture of the proper set up?

I am a tard.

Vincent

Last edited by Turk; 07-18-2003 at 04:33 PM.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:42 PM
Alan C.
Rennlist Member

Received 1,061 Likes on 547 Posts

There should be a wire going to the alternator which excites the alternator at lower rpm's. If it isn't hooked up the car won't chrage below say 3000 rpm's. Once you rev it up the field works ok. That wire should have a blocking diode in series to only allow voltage to go to the alternator and not back to the source.

I wired the diode bacwards on my Tec3 system and I could't shut the car off. I was supplying voltage to my coil packs all the time.

Alan C.
Old 07-19-2003, 02:50 PM
Turk
Instructor

Thanks guys I had it in there wrong. Shes back to starting again!

Vincent and Val

Quick Reply: Putting the starter on wrong=dead battery?