Old 01-25-2014, 01:01 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by MCharbe
I'm a PCA member, I receive the magazine, and I have a Turbo S. I missed the article and cannot find the November 2013 issue anymore. Could I order it again, what can I do to get the article? I perfectly understand that it should not be available online but, like I said, I'm a PCA member and without intent to distribute it. Actually, I am currently rebuilding my engine to do a Stroker 2.8l in order to get more power without sacrifice on reliability - same idea as in the article it seems. This is why I really would like to read it.
PCA has a great iPad app for members, you can download recent (but nit the current) issues. There may be a windows version too.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:06 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

There is a desktop viewer that you can go to. Lemme find the link.
Old 01-25-2014, 04:07 AM
Darwantae951

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

http://www.pca.org/LinkClick.aspx?fi...Q%3d&tabid=465

Read where it says "PC/Laptop version"

It's easy to get everything set up and you can check it out.
Old 01-27-2014, 08:33 PM
MCharbe
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great, got it! Note that password is the PCA membership number. Darwin and Chris, very nice job on the car! I will probably PM you guys for advices in a near future :-)
Old 01-28-2014, 07:08 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,276 Likes on 596 Posts

Originally Posted by Refpotsirk
The below post is not meant to convince anyone to share the article with us - PCA non-members. I understand and respect your point of view. It is just a mere reply to pete's post.

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for being the only one that actually replied to our request.

copyright infringement or disrespect? i guess we live in totally different worlds then but i do understand that some people might take it this way - i would however like to show you my point of view..

For the legal part of it - i don't know how is it in the US, but here as far as i know publicizing/broadcasting any copyrighted material is obviously a felony or even a crime, BUT at the same time, sharing a content you have with PRECISELY the people you want to share it with and nobody more (for example your brother, or two friends from overseas you know from a porsche enthusiasts forum) and with the information where the content is taken from and that its for their eyes only is within fair use of the content.

As for "disrespect" to the author or PCA either in general or its paid members - i would rather treat that almost as a tribute, or showing respect and admiration of their work. In my opinion it should rather be treated as promoting PCA's work and encouraging people from outside to join it

Furthermore (...).

...while writing that last paragraph I started to express my doubt for many people from other continents getting a membership, while not really being able to take advantage of all the possible benefits/perks offerred etc. But frankly i stopped there and deleted the whole text right after i checked pca.org since it struck me how encouraging the membership price was - i do believe joining PCA for the magazine itself might be worth it - if only the quantity (if it's not more of a fancy leaflet) and quality of the content (which I assume based on what you say is high) was known to people from outside of PCA.. thus sharing an article every now and then would rather increase the number of members - not the other way round. In fact for an annual fee of $46 it's a bargain and makes me wonder if it actually isn't below shipping costs to get the magazine to Europe, and even if it isn't the case then the monthly price of $3.84 is practically equal to that of a quality casual magazine here, and for that matter Poland is a rather cheap country.. besides - just for comparison - the annual member fee in Posche Club of Poland is $130 if you own 20yo porsche or older, and $200 if you don't. PCA seems to have similar perks to what PCP offers for a quarter of that tag.. All I can say now is - lucky you, Americans.
Greetings to Poland!

Speaking personally, we are of a similar mind in many ways—especially when it comes to matters of community with fellow Porsche enthusiasts in faraway places. That's something I really dig about Rennlist. It's not so long ago that this conversation would have been unlikely, or even impossible. Speaking professionally, there are reasons for PCA's position regarding free distribution of Panorama content. The primary two: not giving a primary PCA member benefit away, and protecting the work of freelance contributors. When it comes to free content, you'll see where PCA is headed on the next pca.org when it launches, and then as it evolves.

I met with PCA leadership in Maryland a few weeks ago, getting Panorama content to enthusiasts in other parts of the world came up again, as we've been getting more requests (still a pretty small number, though). It is already possible to be a PCA member overseas, though there is a surcharge to cover postage for those who wish to receive the magazine. The digital edition may open up new possibilities in that regard.

Your thoughts about the price of a PCA membership relative to subscriptions and memberships in other countries are very interesting. From what I've seen, PCA may indeed be able to deliver 12 issues (they're usually 136-144 pages, perfect bound, and printed on nice paper) in some markets at a price lower than a subscription to a domestic Porsche magazines. Some people tell me the price of a PCA membership is too cheap at $46 for what they get and gain access to, and some even say PCA could double or triple it. Given the price of your membership over there, they may be right—but PCA can work on a different scale due to its size. Thank goodness for that, since my own membership renewal is sitting on my desk!

pete

Quick Reply: 951 props in Panorama this month