Dutch944
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Really? Please scan it!! I want to see the article as well
Old 11-27-2013, 09:10 AM
cruise98
Three Wheelin'

Received 24 Likes on 13 Posts

I just caught up on 4 months worth of Panorama. Good job Darwin! Your car looks fabulous.
Old 12-03-2013, 03:17 PM
pontifex4
Drifting

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Darwin, my copy finally came last week and I got to see the article in print. Great job, and congratulations!
Old 12-06-2013, 10:54 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Received 36 Likes on 27 Posts

I talked to Pete quite a bit during and after Darwin's article was being put together. There will be more 944 content and we are already planning some stuff for spring in the Northeast.

BTW - for those of you that are PCA members there is a Pano app for iPad, Mac and PC. Its a really slick interface. You page to the right to go through the first page of the articles and then page down though each article. lots of hot links to more info, advertisers or any email hot links.
unfortunately its pretty well protected from making copies of any type!!
Old 12-07-2013, 04:45 PM
stout
Rennlist Member

Received 1,321 Likes on 614 Posts

Thanks guys!

Have to say that standing in a parking lot with Darwin, looking at his 951 while he showed it to me was one of the highlights of last summer's Parade for me. He's a car guy through and through—and a refreshing reminder that PCA has a bright future. And what a cool car.

As to scans of the article, I hate having to say it, but I'm afraid that's a no go. We are looking at promoting some Panorama content on the new pca.org (currently under construction), but we can't allow others to give PCA's copyrighted material—and one of its primary member benefits—away. That's not respectful to our content creators or our members. And a membership really isn't all that expensive when you look at what you get, and gain access to.

Porschephiles hoping to read Panorama in other countries are another matter. Foreign memberships are available, but we've also been thinking about how we might find a more economical model in which they can still receive Pano content. We've got some ideas, but they may take time to hammer out...

Best,

pete
Old 12-07-2013, 06:46 PM
soltino
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Red face

Originally Posted by stout
Thanks guys!

Have to say that standing in a parking lot with Darwin, looking at his 951 while he showed it to me was one of the highlights of last summer's Parade for me. He's a car guy through and through—and a refreshing reminder that PCA has a bright future. And what a cool car.

As to scans of the article, I hate having to say it, but I'm afraid that's a no go. We are looking at promoting some Panorama content on the new pca.org (currently under construction), but we can't allow others to give PCA's copyrighted material—and one of its primary member benefits—away. That's not respectful to our content creators or our members. And a membership really isn't all that expensive when you look at what you get, and gain access to.

Porschephiles hoping to read Panorama in other countries are another matter. Foreign memberships are available, but we've also been thinking about how we might find a more economical model in which they can still receive Pano content. We've got some ideas, but they may take time to hammer out...

Best,

pete

Please consult with Legal; may fall under the per-view of the Fair Use Doctrain.

tino
Old 01-16-2014, 11:23 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Darwin's car makes it into Pano again! 1st letter likes the article and a picture of the article is included.

Nice comments on Darwin's car and 944s in general. I like the new editor!!!
Old 01-16-2014, 12:57 PM
p5th
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris White
Darwin's car makes it into Pano again! 1st letter likes the article and a picture of the article is included. Nice comments on Darwin's car and 944s in general. I like the new editor!!!
+951
Old 01-16-2014, 02:25 PM
Kris H
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The below post is not meant to convince anyone to share the article with us - PCA non-members. I understand and respect your point of view. It is just a mere reply to pete's post.

First of all, I would like to thank you very much for being the only one that actually replied to our request.

copyright infringement or disrespect? i guess we live in totally different worlds then but i do understand that some people might take it this way - i would however like to show you my point of view..

For the legal part of it - i don't know how is it in the US, but here as far as i know publicizing/broadcasting any copyrighted material is obviously a felony or even a crime, BUT at the same time, sharing a content you have with PRECISELY the people you want to share it with and nobody more (for example your brother, or two friends from overseas you know from a porsche enthusiasts forum) and with the information where the content is taken from and that its for their eyes only is within fair use of the content.

As for "disrespect" to the author or PCA either in general or its paid members - i would rather treat that almost as a tribute, or showing respect and admiration of their work. In my opinion it should rather be treated as promoting PCA's work and encouraging people from outside to join it

Furthermore (...).

...while writing that last paragraph I started to express my doubt for many people from other continents getting a membership, while not really being able to take advantage of all the possible benefits/perks offerred etc. But frankly i stopped there and deleted the whole text right after i checked pca.org since it struck me how encouraging the membership price was - i do believe joining PCA for the magazine itself might be worth it - if only the quantity (if it's not more of a fancy leaflet) and quality of the content (which I assume based on what you say is high) was known to people from outside of PCA.. thus sharing an article every now and then would rather increase the number of members - not the other way round. In fact for an annual fee of $46 it's a bargain and makes me wonder if it actually isn't below shipping costs to get the magazine to Europe, and even if it isn't the case then the monthly price of $3.84 is practically equal to that of a quality casual magazine here, and for that matter Poland is a rather cheap country.. besides - just for comparison - the annual member fee in Posche Club of Poland is $130 if you own 20yo porsche or older, and $200 if you don't. PCA seems to have similar perks to what PCP offers for a quarter of that tag.. All I can say now is - lucky you, Americans.
Old 01-16-2014, 03:05 PM
333pg333
Rennlist Member

Received 98 Likes on 81 Posts

^^ Good post! ^^
Old 01-17-2014, 02:26 AM
ibkevin
Defending the Border
Rennlist Member

Rest In Peace

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

REALLY???

If I had a copy I'd gladly email it out to any requester. If I were Darwin, I'd be elated to share pics of MY car. Are you telling people haven't figured out how to smartly plagiarize an article for their own use?
Old 01-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Chris White
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist Small
Business Sponsor

Its a little more complex that some folks know - I talked to Pete (Pano Editor) about getting a high quality copy to frame and hang on the wall. The problem is the agreement between PCA and the publisher, first off the way the publisher works with the copy there is not an easy way to spit out a high quality file, they could do it but it would cost a bunch of $ to get them to do it (no number quoted but I got the feeling it was more than several hundred $). In addition there were the 'usual' contractual agreements with both the publisher (and I would guess the author) about the use and distributing content. Typical commercial stuff.

I think Pete would love to share - and he does like the 944! but his hands are tied by the legal folks.....don't even think about trying to use logic on them!
Old 01-17-2014, 07:23 PM
ramius665
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

PCA spents over $1,000,000 every year to publish Panorama. And with Pete Stout at the helm, it's truly become the best Porsche magazine in the US. While I don't have a problem with emailing individuals a copy of Darwin's article, there's no way I would post it on the internet. Further, for a very reasonable fee, I'm fairly certain that any Porsche owner worldwide can join PCA.
Old 01-18-2014, 09:33 PM
Voith
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 648 Likes on 409 Posts

Can we buy panoramas with 944 content and have it sent to our addresses?
Old 01-24-2014, 10:30 PM
MCharbe
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a PCA member, I receive the magazine, and I have a Turbo S. I missed the article and cannot find the November 2013 issue anymore. Could I order it again, what can I do to get the article? I perfectly understand that it should not be available online but, like I said, I'm a PCA member and without intent to distribute it. Actually, I am currently rebuilding my engine to do a Stroker 2.8l in order to get more power without sacrifice on reliability - same idea as in the article it seems. This is why I really would like to read it.

Quick Reply: 951 props in Panorama this month